"The American Dream" - how to start this essay?

mroman 1 / -  
I have to write an argument essay about the American Dream. I don't know how to start any help will be very much appreciated.
jeffadams1206 2 / 1  
Is this for The Great Gatsby? Try starting off with a quick historical lesson. Teach the reader about that time and then introduce the book and your arguments.
Yep, The Great Gatsby is a good one for this topic.

But maybe the assignment has nothing to do with literature at all. Maybe it is to be a good, solid argumentative essay, and it does not necessarily have anything to do with any particular story.

So, think of an opinion you have about the American dream -- one that some other people might not agree with. This is what it means to make a thesis statement that is "arguable."

I have some opinions, but you should use your own. I might argue, for example, that the American dream is a contrived, destructive concept that hurts people by causing a gap between their expectations and reality.

Or, I might argue that the concept is used as a social control mechanism, encouraging people to be productive and pay their taxes on that big house with the picket fence, etc.

:-) Make sure you make a bold argument, figure out what your opponent's argument would be, and then show how they are wrong and you are right!!
jadetang 4 / 11  
maybe you can give a definition of American Dream in your own perspective at begin of your essay.

Home / Essays / "The American Dream" - how to start this essay?