Common App Essay of Your Choice: How nail polish taught me to work with people.

syd132682 1 / -  
I was thinking about writing a Common App essay with the topic of your choice. I wanted to write about how nail polish has taught me to work better with others. I was thinking of a title along the lines of " I have 150 bottles of nail polish and each is unique." Then go on to say how people are just as unique as nail polish. I would then discuss how just like some polishes are thin and need multiple coats just like you need multiple interactions with people to see their true personality. I would include maybe one or two more analogies. I would then conclude by saying how by working extensively with nail polish has provided me with the knowledge on how people work as well. Would this be a good topic to write on?
cesaror123 4 / 7 4  
Well in the end, the topic of your essay is truly unimportant. What matters is that your essay is well-written and tells the reader something about yourself, particularly if you can do so in a way that is unique and will make the reader remember you later. If you can make the topic work then you're all set to start. However, I would say that this topic is a little "iffy". If you can focus less on the material angle on the nail polish, maybe not list that you have 150 bottles of the stuff and just say many or something that can be interpreted, and focus more on the discussion of how YOU have learned about how people are different then you have a great essay that discusses a certain aspect of yourself conveyed in a manner that is both memorable and unique. I wish you the best of luck.
I was thinking about writing a Common App essay with the topic of your choice. I wanted to write about how nail polish has taught me to work better with others.

When I read your description as to what you want to bring up as an idea, I feel you mostly want to talk about uniqueness of every individual.

Again,

I would then discuss how just like some polishes are thin and need multiple coats just like you need multiple interactions with people to see their true personality.

sounds like you need to reflect personalities through nail polish.
In general I feel your idea is to reflect human behavior and personality through a bottle of nail polish and talk about your realizations through what you experience with painting your nails.... So, how about a topic like;

"Seeing life through my nail polish bottle"
First have a sketch as to what are the human traits that you try to match with nail polish and then how you interpret them as your learnings that helped shape your perception about the world.

Home / Essays / Common App Essay of Your Choice: How nail polish taught me to work with people.