How to create a meaningful introduction regarding an application essay to a research program

dikeelena 1 / 2  
Hi,

I'm applying to a research program over the summer and I need help on how to start the essay. The research program would basically help me get a head start into the medical career. But I'm really lost on how to start the essay. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Maccdog 2 / 6 3  
I also am curious to see other responses to this post since I am in a similar situation. From the research that I've done on this topic, a captivating introduction is essential and a common introduction that has been proven effective would be to include a personal journey/struggle that has lead you to be passionate on your future medical career.
Elena, the first thing you have to ask yourself when developing a research paper is, "What am I interested in writing about?" List down your 10 top interests and then narrow the long list down to your top 5. Base your top 5 solely on your degree of interest in the topic. Now, narrow it down to your final 3 based upon the degree of importance of the subject to the medical world. After that, your final choice should solely be based on availability of information and feasibility of the study.

Next, set up your preliminary research questions. Look for the information that you need to find and analyze it. Decide if this is the kind of information that you will be interested in following up and developing. It may turn out to be a bit harder to set up the preliminary work for the research paper than you actually think so you need to be prepared to go the distance and commit to this task.

If you find that this is a topic that you are more than willing to develop due to a more pressing reason, say curing the MERS-COV virus or eradicating Ebola, then you should ask yourself what the outcome of the paper should be for you. Do you think it will really be a paper that will help advance the cause of research in the area of your choosing? If so, then you are on the right track towards starting your research paper.
HeartsArrows - / 2 1  
I think this can be a big help on your problem in writing a meaningful letter/essay introduction:

ielts podcast /ielts-writing-task/088-ielts-writing-general-task-1-letter-writing-samples/

It focuses on IELTS but would be of aid on how you write a professional essay.
OP dikeelena 1 / 2  
Hello,

Thank you to all who replied. I apologize for the late reply. I have finished the essay and this is what I have. Any criticism will be greatly appreciated. Also, if it sounds too cliche please let me know. Thanks

Questions. There is an infinite amount of questions that have never been asked and will never be answered. Only a finite sum can be asked and answered. Questions. They fuel my brain and ignite my curiosity, propelling me into the subject of science, allowing for me to gain an understanding in its concepts, theorems and laws. Questions are what I had beginning in my ninth grade biology classroom. As a freshman, I didn't know what to expect, high school itself was intimidating and daunting. However, biology was not. Instead, biology was welcoming and open, allowing me ask questions and delve deeper into the subject. This was the class that helped me to realize that I could be much better than what I thought I could be. It took my level of curiosity onto a whole other level, gradually sparking my interest in medicine.

As time went on, I decided to take a class in psychology. It didn't take long for me to realize that not only do I have an immense love for Biology, but for Psychology as well. I find it interesting how both topics go hand in hand since "everything psychological is simultaneously biological." The way the mind works has been a mystery throughout much of mankind and I want to study it, familiarizing myself with it. Learning psychology has allowed for me to get a better understanding of the human mind. Also, my experience with psychology as well as biology has been heightened since my school provides advanced courses that push me and enable me to reach higher levels of learning within the two subjects.

Although I am pushed rigorously academically, I am also pushed rigorously in extracurricular activities as well. For the past five years, being in band and playing the tuba has been a factor that has really shaped me as a person. Not only the musical aspect, but the disciplinary aspect as well. During marching band, for almost four months I would wake up as early as 5:30 am for morning rehearsals, and would come home as late as 1 am in the morning sometimes. This dedication to a program has shown me what means to have commitment and to persevere, especially when times prove to be rough. Moreover, I am in the Business Professionals of America (BPA) chapter at my school and I competed in the Medical Office Procedures event at the regional level recently, in an attempt to increase my awareness of the medical field. Learning medical office procedures and write ups such as SOAP notes and HPIP reports was an enlightening experience that I will use to my advantage later in the future. (I don't think this is a good ending).

Also, I was recently inducted into the National Honor Society (NHS) chapter at my high school. This program is taken very seriously and a certain grade point average is needed to be considered as well as to stay within the chapter. Through this program, I am able to be involved in community service. During the Christmas time, I along with several others had helped in a service activity by buying presents for children who would not wake up to any presents on Christmas morning. I helped wrap the presents, write Christmas cards for the children and delivered the presents at the Children's Advocacy Center. The feeling of helping others through such a simple act really boosted my feelings and lifted my lifted my spirits. Now, whenever the littlest opportunity arrives for me to serve, I often grab it because helping others has become a main priority of mine.

The curiosity I have in science, the work ethic I've acquired from band as well as BPA and my service through NHS has created a pathway for me past high school. These programs have shaped me as a better person as I am working towards my goal of entering into the medical field. My participation in this program will tremendously help me gain new knowledge pertaining the medical field, especially with research. Being able to work alongside others and answer questions that are yet to be answered is something I look forward to. I want to be able to gain a head start, learning more than what my high school has to offer.
The first paragraph is supposed to set the tone for your research. Be definite about the question or topic that the essay is going to focus on discussing. "Questions" is too broad a topic and you did not even try to whittle it down to a few or single topic for discussion. The lack of focus in the thesis statement already tells the professor that you have no idea what it is that you want to delve upon in your research.

I came away from your essay thoroughly confused about what it is that you are trying to convey. Are you writing a personal statement? Are you proposing a research topic? Are you applying for a research grant? What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Perhaps you have not provided me with enough information about what you are trying to do in this paper. Which is why I can't figure out what direction it should take. Do you have a prompt requirement you are trying to respond to?

It would be in your best interest to explain to us exactly what this program is about, what you are trying to accomplish with this paper, and if there are certain requirements that you have to fulfill within the essay. That is the only time we can really help you better develop the essay.
OP dikeelena 1 / 2  
I am applying to an 8 week research program over the summer. Below is the guideline for what they want the essay to be comprised of:

Your essay should NOT exceed two, double-spaced pages. Describe yourself and discuss EACH of the following as part of your essay. You are NOT limited to these areas.

1) important academic experiences in science
2) important academic experiences in other areas
3) extracurricular activities that have influenced you in a positive way
4) community service activities that have influenced you in a positive way
5) how your experiences, including participation in this program, will influence your plans for the future
Elena, remove the whole first paragraph. It is not really relevant to the questions that you are being asked to respond to and just confuses the information in the paper. Please keep in mind that when you are asked to write a paper based upon a specific set of questions, you are to write your responses in essay form, but in the order that it was asked in the questionnaire as the reviewer will expect to read the answers in the same chronological order.

That said, your paper is right on the mark in terms of responding to the questions listed. That is why you do not need the introductory paragraph that you have at the moment. Bringing your reviewer's attention directly to your answers will keep him interested in reading what you have to say.

In addition to that, you don't need to introduce the foundation of your interest in your field of study either. The first two paragraphs, which are nothing more than just fluff meant to make your essay longer than it should be, is expendable. That means the paper will not be affected even after you remove the first two paragraphs. Your responses to the questions do not actually start until after that. So you should just concentrate on writing a more fluid introduction to the first question you will be responding to. Then create applicable transition sentences in order to create a smooth flowing essay.

Home / Essays / How to create a meaningful introduction regarding an application essay to a research program