"What is Memorial Day, and what does it mean to me?"; Need ideas

saichicka39 3 / 6  
So guys I have this essay to do, and I really want to do it, but I don;t have any ideas. The following information is what the essay prompt and contest is about:

2013 Essay Contest Announcement and Official Rules
"What is Memorial Day & What Does It Mean to Me?"
The contest is open to all Marion County, FL middle and high-school students. The purpose of the
contest is to create an educational awareness involving the young people in our community so
that they can learn more about the price of freedom.
Official Rules
1. Eligibility: Entrants must be middle or high school students enrolled in the Marion County Public
School system (entries from private, charter and home schools will also be accepted).
2. Format: Entries must be presented in the format of a Personal Essay, between 500-525 words,
using a double-spaced 12-point font and must include a bibliography (not included in the word count).
3. Topic: "What is Memorial Day and...What Does It Mean to Me?"
4. Research: Research is essential in creating a quality essay. Please cite library resources, Web URLs
with access dates, and personal interviews.
5. Bibliography: The bibliography must cite at least two references. Entries that do not include a
bibliography will be disqualified.
6. Essay Entries: Must be submitted and received between March 1 and April 30, 2013. Entries
cannot be acknowledged or returned, and they become the property of Highland Memorial Park. Essays
can be delivered to your Guidance Counselor's office or, they can also be mailed to: Highland Memorial
Park, Attn: Beverly Brown, PO Box 2047, Ocala, FL 34478-2047. Entries must be accompanied by a
3x5 index card, attached but not stapled to essay, containing the following information: contestant's
name, address, phone and student ID number, name of parent/guardian who will accompany
contestant at the awards event.
7. Evaluation Process: Two winning essays will be selected on the following basis:
>25 points-Originality and creativity
>25 points-Compliance with the assigned topic
>20 points-Factual accuracy
>15 points-Grammar and organization of content
>15 points-Scope of research
8. Awards: An iPad mini will be awarded to one each Middle & High School first place winner; a Kindle
Ereader will be awarded to two each Middle and High School runner up winners. Each winner and his/
her parent/guardian must be present to receive their prize.

So all I want some ideas and come help as I write the essay. It will be really appreciated if you guys could give me any ideas.

Thank you for taking your time to read this.
KarkatVantas - / 3 1  
If you knew anyone who served in the army, or gave their life in the army, you could talk about how Memorial Day is your way of remembering and honoring them. It would make for a good personal connection. Or if you don't have anyone like that, you could just talk about how Memorial Day is important to you because you think our soldiers deserve to be honored. Hope that helps a little. :)

This is good advice. As per the structure, I suggest you to introduce the concept of Memorial Day and why it is importance and significance to your nation at large. Then narrow it down to how it is important to you. If you don't have an experience as suggested by KarkatVantas, you can do a little bit of research and find out a touchy and inspiring story about a fallen hero. Then mold that story to what you need to express in this essay.

Home / Essays / "What is Memorial Day, and what does it mean to me?"; Need ideas