philosophers and their effect on society, essay for my final assignment

fatima_khan 1 / -  
i just wrote this essay for my final assignment, please help me out! any suggestions would be great! the question is: what effect have philosophers had on society?

Philosophers deal with the study of the general problems of a society, those that affect all of its members. These general problems concern topics such as existence, morality, logic, and politics. But, what really makes philosophers different from others is the manner in which they approach these problems. They do so with a systematic approach involving rational reasoning, which is considered a more reliable way to discover truth because it is free from myth and superstition. Many philosophers have played a prominent role in shaping the views and beliefs of our society. Greek philosophy, for example, is considered to have shaped Western thought for thousands of years. It is just as relevant today as it was back then, which is why we still turn to the ideas and theories formulated by Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle because they provide, or attempt to provide, a valid explanation for our most puzzling questions.

The main goal for philosophers is to obtain truth. In order to do so, they must acknowledge all aspects of . . . Logic, for example, is one way to discover truth. It helps us answer questions pertaining to factual principles in order to achieve factual conclusions, such as mathematics and science. But, this is only one aspect. What about concepts that are much more difficult to answer, such as morality and even existence? Philosophers aim to discover the truth behind such perplexing concepts, as well. Because society in general is concerned with such issues, different types of philosophical thinking have developed from different theories. Each kind has added to philosophical thinking and has made progress towards understanding, and ultimately, obtaining truth.

The contributions that philosophers have made to our society are countless. All aspects of life, such as existence, morality, logic, politics, etc., have been subjects of philosophical thinking. This philosophical thinking has helped society to move closer to the truth, the ideal forms. For example, in our world today there are several different political systems present, such as democracy, dictatorship, and communism (to name a few). These have all formed as a result of people's need to obtain the ideal political system and, to a particular society, a distinct system is accepted to be valid. Philosophers, like Aristotle, define the ideal political system as one that meets the need of society as a whole. By doing this, they are able to meet the needs of all people. Philosophers have helped society progress, not just politically, but in other aspects as well.
Hi, great essay. Just a few small suggestions:

The main goal of philosophers is to obtain truth.

In order to do so, they must acknowledge all aspects of each question. Logic, for example, is one way to discover truth.

Philosophers, like Aristotle, define the ideal political system as one that meets the needs of society as a whole.

:)

Kevin

Home / Essays / philosophers and their effect on society, essay for my final assignment