Writing a definition paper -- hard to explain well

jf33 1 / -  
I have been assigned to take a common word or phrase and give it my own definition. Ive been trying to pick one for a while and I just cant settle for anything.I would like to avoid starting something and then decide I don't like my word or phrase. I would just like some more ideas to compare so that I can be sure that I've picked a good subject, and I would also like too see where you guys think I could go with these words. I'm especially having trouble coming up with phrases. After I write it I would also like to post it on this thread to make sure I'm going in the right direction.

Right now I'm considering:
Expectations
Influence
Culture
Righteous
Success
Generation
Productivity
Connection
Correct

I'm also afraid that I might pick a concept that is too broad or might be too hard to explain well
Mustafa1991 8 / 373 4  
You've been assigned to take a common word/phrase CONCEPT* and give it your *interpretation* in the boundaries permitted to you.

If it's definition, you're basically saying that you can assign any meaning you want to any word.

So, by your definition, correct could mean "interesting", Generation could mean "rejuvanate", words with no relation whatsoever.

It's a nice assignment. Really, all you have to be capable of is imaginative speculation.

Assuming that it's an interpretation you are reaching for, I like some of these words.

Belief
Definition
Success
Morality
Essence
Soul
Mind
Name
Religion
Money
Knowledge
Wisdom
Determination
Change
Justice
Unfortunate
Privileged
Intelligence
Assumption
Purpose
Deceit
Me
You
Life
Accomplishment
Disagreement
Chance
Chance 2
Wish
Frailty
Forgotten
Forget
Memory
Feeling
Love
Hate
Bond
Uncertainty
Despair
Hope
Construct
Pawn
Role
Freedom
Standard
Collusion
Enemy
etc
etc
etc

You need to pick a word obviously, preferably one that you hold a unique view of, so you can truly spill your guts and have a great paper. This is a great excercise in thinking. All it takes is a pen and conviction.

Here's a guide to picking a word.

Ponder something which has always perplexed you, and relate it to an abstract concept.

Keep in mind, this is all YOU. It's whatever. No holds barred. It's all out, whatever it is about you, let it through.
Mustafa is quite right. If you can pick a word and give it your own definition, the exercise is one in imagination. Unfortunately, you have to pick a common word, but that sort of exercise is normally more fun if you pick an unusual word out of the dictionary and make up something that sounds reasonable. For instance:

Darshan
Dybbuk
Yataghan
Eyas
Zucchetto

All of the above are real words, but most people don't know what they mean, so if you are supposed to make up a definition for them, you can have some real fun.

If, on the other hand, you are being asked to give your own interpretation of the actual meaning of an abstract concept, then you should pick one of the words off of Mustafa's list, or any emotion, or any ideology, etc., then explain what the word means to you personally.

As for phrases, I'd suggest picking idioms or adages, but really, you could just go with a word if phrases are giving you trouble.

Good luck
Wow, that is a heck of a list, Mustafa!
And a very apt one, too. One could write almost endlessly on some of the words you included there. Good job.
arbartz - / 1  
Definition Paper on "Classic"

Hi,

I need to write a 3 paragraph definition paper on "Classic" for my senior year composition class. I tend to be a very short and to the point kind of person, so my first thought was "why do you want me to write a definition paper, just go look it up in the dictionary!" Anyways, I really dont know where to even start. Any help what-so-ever would be great!

Thank you,
Austin
petemess95 6 / 9 2  
arbartz
I'm not very creative either, but here's what I would do. First think about what comes to mind when you hear the word "classic". Use this as a base. Off of this, think of reasons that you associate those things with the word "Classic". That's how I would start, good luck with making 3 paragraphs out of that!

Home / Essays / Writing a definition paper -- hard to explain well