Writing a paper about violence,death and fear in Disney movies - ideas?

randa 1 / 1  
Hello all,
can anyone provide me with ideas in writing a paper about violence,death and fear in Disney movies?? what kind of theories should I apply??
This is such a coincidence. I was asked by my two-year old to tell him a bedtime story tonight and I found it extremely difficult to remember one from my youth which did not involve death or trauma. You may at some point discuss the current trend in children's stories/movies being quite "politically correct" with an absence of violence, death, etc. and at what point are protesters going too far? I heard that "Snuffalufagus" had to be removed from Sesame Street because he was a "hallucination" of Big Bird's. That's a little extreme. Well your personal opinion has a lot of bearing on what YOUR essay should include. At what age do you think children even need to be informed of the concept of death? And where should the line be draw? When a mother deer get shot during the opening scene (Bambi) or a princess is poisoned by an evil witch who is jealous of her beauty (Snow White)? I understand life lessons being incorporated into fairytales but first of all, real-life stories involving murder and tragedy are grossly inappropriate for children, let alone fantasy tales. Let's save their imaginations for fun things like fairies and wizards and dragons, etc. These are my thoughts, maybe you could branch from them. Good luck!
OP randa 1 / 1  
Well, i'm focusing on the Lion King and Monsters,Inc. I found these two movies relevant for my search that they include some of the dark themes that need to be spoken against. Thanks for the advise, that was really helpful. I'll try to focus on studies in relation to children's appropriate age for grasping or correctly interpreting such concepts.
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
Hi, I think existence the concepts such as fear, and death are a part of all people's lives, even children. Thus, I think these concepts can sometimes be educative and teach children about the dark sides of the world. If directors of animations just focus on the fantastic issues it may have several negative aspects. In fact, this can separate youth from real life, they should prepare for the facts, including death and violence.

Regards
A. Zafari

Home / Essays / Writing a paper about violence,death and fear in Disney movies - ideas?