'ardent lover of science' - SOP - Chemical Engineering PhD

Andys 1 / 2  
Can I please get any feedback on my SOP for admission into into a Chemical Engg PhD Program. Thank you. I found this forum to be really useful for framing my SOP. Keep up the good work!!

Being an ardent lover of science since my school days, I developed a keen liking towards biological and chemical sciences and this prompted me to opt for biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics as my majors in high school. While I was enjoying the fascinating world of life science, I often wondered if all that knowledge could serve as a catalyst for the betterment of the society. This is when I thought of a career in biotechnology, an applied science that could allow me to make use of the knowledge that I acquire in understanding scientific problems and developing solutions for them. I went on to pursue an engineering degree specialising in biotechnology at the undergraduate level which was a perfect blend of theoretical studies and practical applications. I was introduced to various subjects pertaining to biological and chemical engineering over a span of four years and this created a strong platform to venture further into the field.

Driven by this prudence and the thirst to explore various options and gain more practical exposure in the field, I went on to pursue post graduate studies at the University of Queensland, Australia, which is world renowned for its pioneering research in the field of biosciences. After spending the first year in completing various lab courses, attending lectures and seminars, I undertook my master's dissertation work in the second year at the YY (Institute name), a premier research institute associated with the university. My project involved the application of recombinant protein technology to create defined growth substrates (Vitronectin) for the culturing and expansion of human embryonic stem cells for therapeutic purposes. I was also involved in a project aimed at the development of a stable CHO cell line that expresses recombinant form of human Wnt 3A protein. The 10 months I spent on my dissertations in a research environment reinforced my passion for research and instilled in me the skills like independent and logical thinking, laboratory skills, collaborative/ team abilities and most importantly, perseverance that is paramount in conducting research. I was lauded for my work and was awarded the dean's commendations for high achievement for my dissertations. I obtained my Masters degree in Biotechnology with a distinction average. I have also completed two short terms as a research technician at the YY (Institute name) and the ZZ (institute name), Australia which helped me gain additional exposure to and experience in research methodology.

It was during my tenure as a master's research student at the University of Queensland, my interest towards the engineering aspects of biotechnology burgeoned given my background in engineering at the undergraduate level. The areas of research that excite me the most are bioprocessing technology and biomaterials. Within these areas, I have a keen interest in research pertaining to production of therapeutic proteins and development and characterisation of biomaterials for therapeutic applications.

Eminent faculty members like Dr. AA, Dr. BB, Dr.CC and Dr. DD at the Department of Chemical Engineering of the XX University are conducting cutting edge research in my areas of interest and it would be an invaluable opportunity for me to learn under their mentorship.

A lucid observation I made from experiences during my post graduate years was the existence of a symbiotic relationship between academia and industry. What caught my interest was the mutual inclusiveness of academic research output and the industrial input required for the effective delivery of service to the society in the context of biotechnology. It is this inter-disciplinary aspect of research that motivates me to delve into it and train myself to tackle problems by a multi perspective approach. A PhD from a University like XX that promotes excellence in research would be an ideal launch pad for me to begin a career in scientific research and development.

My background in biotechnology research combined with a strong motivation and diligence will help me utilise the excellent opportunity provided by your institution, effectively contribute to the diverse translational research output of the program and create a niche for myself in the interface between academia and industry.
Your English writing is really high quality :)
I could hardly find any mistake there :D

Just a few suggestions;

Driven by this prudence and the thirst to explore various options and gain more practical exposure in the field,

Driven by ....gain more practical exposure ------------- this part seems having a problem. Better re-phrase :)

it would be an invaluable opportunity for me to have such distinguished mentors and learn under their mentorship.guidance ------------- I doubt whether there is a word "mentorship"

Good luck!
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
it would be an invaluable opportunity for me to have such distinguished mentors and learn under their mentorship. guidance ------------- I doubt whether there is a word "mentorship"

This word is an academic word. More information is available in the website "wikipedia". I did not know anything about this before looking up the word in this site.

Regards
Ahmad
This word is an academic word.

well.... then it's cool :)
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
To duminda: would u please take a look at my new thread??? The introduction of an...????
OP Andys 1 / 2  
Thanks dumi :) .... I was wondering if this makes a goob SOP for application to a PhD program :) I will try and incorporate the changes you suggested.
Well.... there's nothing wrong with your English.... You have provided a deep account of your credentials and experience. Also about your future aspirations and why you are keen on doing at their uni... However, I believe you can still improve it's emotional appeal and show your talents in creativity :)

Home / Graduate / 'ardent lover of science' - SOP - Chemical Engineering PhD