Becoming a researcher and an academic professor. Motivation letter for a PhD in analytical chemistry

matos 1 / 1  

pursuing phd in the chemistry field

I am writing this motivation letter for a specific phd position of analytical chemistry. I am not very sure about the structure and grammar errors. I would be very grateful if someone give me some advice about how does it feel.

Dear Dr. XXX,

I am writing to express my interest in the doctoral position available in XXX Lab group focused on the development of methods for the detection of XXX at XXX University.

While pursuing my BSc in Chemistry at XXX I was awarded with a fellowship from XXX University where I performed research in inorganic chemistry synthesizing Iron(II) Spin Crossover Complexes. From that moment, I started reading papers and coming up with some questions and ideas. Then, I realized that the process involved in research of finding a problem, looking for answers, developing experiments, falling over and over again until you reach your research goal, was what I want to do for life and career. Although, I was sure that that field of chemistry was not the right fit for me. Instead of patiently wait for my crystals to grow I'd rather be learning about an instrumental technique to analyzing them.

After that, my problem-solving and dynamic personality led me to analytical chemistry area where I carried out research projects under the supervision of prof. XXX at XXX Laboratory. Hence, I quickly became fascinated with XXX science mainly because it offers a swift turnaround between academic research for a new method and application of such a method in real cases. This, besides the possibility of exploring all those state-of-art equipments and the methodic process of working in an ISO environment, made me want to engage in and learn deeply about this field. Thus, I developed a strong interest in exploring the theory of gas and liquid chromatography (GC, LC), mass spectrometry (HRMS), mass spectra elucidation, method development, metabolism of xenobiotics and chemometrics.

Furthermore, among the countless experiences my lab has provided me I could mention my undergraduate thesis within I used XXX. The presentation of this work resulted in an honorable mention in the scientific journey of XXX in 2018 and the project yielded a paper which is about to be published at XXX journal. In the meantime, I was part of the routine analysis team of XXX and assisted Professor XXX training new undergrad students.

As an analyst-researcher, I was able to improve my multi-tasking ability and time management skills, while sharping my teamwork skills and critical thinking. In addition, I am currently enrolled on master program in science at XXX (GPA 3.0/3.0) under the supervision of professor XXX. The main project involves developing a method for obtaining XXX which I submitted to XXX grant in the begging of the year.

For those matters, I decided to attempt this PhD position because it will bring me one step closer to my goal of becoming a researcher and an academic professor. Learn from great professors a different perspective of XXX science would deeply develop my critical thinking. By improving myself, I can fully dedicate to contribute for XXX University and the science community. If I am accepted, I will work hard to enrich XXXLab contributing with innovative ideas, workforce and teamwork spirit. I am confident that my academic records, experience, professional goals and my enthusiasm qualify me for consideration.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration, I look forward to hearing from you.
buiminhese 4 / 6 1  
@matos

Hello, for the PhD motivation letter, you need to know "who" you are sending to. If the "who" is a professor you wish to be your supervisor, you need to study his or her research interest and tailor your educational background, working experiences, and research interest around it. If the "who" is a department or a university, you should mention why you want to study there and provide specific details.
OP matos 1 / 1  
chemistry

Thank you very much for your response. The "who" is a specific professor, which I omited the name. I tried to write the letter with all those things you said in mind. I would be very grateful if you could take a look at it and see if there is any bizarre mistake.

Home / Graduate / Becoming a researcher and an academic professor. Motivation letter for a PhD in analytical chemistry