"The best way to predict future is to create it" - SOP fr MS in Power systems

vikey168 2 / 1  
" The best way to predict future is to create it " by Peter Drucker inspired me a lot as I believe that the species of mankind was never meant to end here on earth. We are presently exploring, trying to find possible habitats elsewhere and also solve energy crisis. I take this opportunity as a great chance for innovation and improvement in the energy sector trying to create a more dependable and reliable source with less ill effects towards our planet.

Childhood is the best part where our brain puts forward questions which are unexplainable. Whenever I saw the clouds bursting into a thunder I wondered what is the reason behind those magnificent strokes of light. For which, I used to get an answer "Gods fighting there in the skies causes this crackling, cacophonous electric boom" from my grandmother. I was fascinated by the art and mystery of thunders. With time passing by, mystery unravelled itself in the name of "Electricity".

I am a man of science, always questioning for the reasons behind, being the son of two teachers. As a young student, while learning physics, mathematics acquiring a remarkable 94.2% in 12th grade, when my father used to disassemble electrical appliances, I used to help him and even reassemble them to perfection. That was my "eureka" moment. This fascination of an innocent and awestruck child towards electricity started a ripple effect which led to my applying for electrical engineering as my branch subject as it never ceased to engage me in a quest for a greater understanding and knowledge.

After acquiring 89% in 10th and 94% in 12th, I embarked on this path of engineering - that masterful discipline where art and science are one in 2010, after getting into one of the top 150 best universities in the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) countries after securing 1848th rank amongst 2,50,000 people. It wasn't exactly a smooth start at all. Complex mathematical models and recondite theories confused me. I used to reassure myself that I had made the right decision to pursue an engineering degree, and that I just wasn't seeing it yet.

My undergraduation introduced me to the world of electrical and electronics. My in-plant training in BHEL, Hyderabad where I learnt manufacturing of turbo generators fuelled my interests to get into the Power Sector. I have gone through the development of turbo generator in different workshops namely press shop, copper shop etc. where stator, rotor are made from mechanical jobs separately, then wired and the aligned properly with pin point precision to assess power production, distribution, insulation, heat distribution etc. I have given a seminar on Kite Energy: An idea to produce renewable energy using kites which was very appreciated by our professors as it was quite Innovative. It discussed about renewable energy production employing control instrumentation which enables kites to move in pre-aligned effective paths even in places with least winds which enhanced my knowledge of control systems, instrumentation, aerodynamics, power generation. My industrial visit to diesel power plant at yelahanka in Sep'12 enhanced my knowledge of power production using combustion engines where I explored different aspects of power generation which included voltage and frequency monitoring, combustion, demand analysis, transportation, protection and maintenance of field equipment, hazard analysis, safety measurements etc. I have a taken up a mini-project named "Multi Motor Control System for AC or DC motors" where in, we were able to construct a control system using 555 timer's different states in order to remotely control the switching of multiple motors remotely which enables us to save power and improve safety. A visit to bidadi power grid station in Feb'14 made me well acquainted with the - control systems equipment (SCADA), gas insulation systems where I was acquainted with the knowledge of control systems, protection of the electrical equipment from natural hazards using different protective equipment, shifting of power through different equipment like transformers, insulation systems etc. I also participated as a student volunteer in an international conference conducted by IEEE on power & energy Systems which has exposed me to the recent developments in power & energy systems field. My major project that I took up was "One Cycle Control of Multiple Input Buck Converter" in which we had to completely design a downgraded model of OCC and implemented on smaller power sources for practical exhibition. First, we were successfully able to simulate the model and designed accordingly using multiple transformers, ____________________ by which, I got acquainted with the practical implications involved while generating, transporting energy and controlling equipment. This developed my simulation and apparatus building skills which would be of great help while managing huge power systems equipment. All this invaluable experiences have aided me in finalizing energy systems as my focus of study. This pursuit of knowledge has converged all my academic endeavours to pursue my masters in electrical engineering at your esteemed university.

My academic pursuits have not however, prevented me from participating with interest in various extracurricular activities namely playing cricket for the college team, gaming etc. My keen interests in writing and films made me work as a writer, director and an actor in various short films as well. I have also participated in social service activities as being part of a college which is established by Amma, who is known as the hugging saint. These activities have led to the development of a multifaceted personality and have equipped me with strong interpersonal skills.

The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at _____________is a well-known centre of excellence. The research interests of the faculty are extremely compatible with those of mine as some of the faculty members are pioneering people in their fields. In particular, I would like to work with the faculty namely_______________ ________________involved with the power systems, smart grid and high voltage engineering. My ultimate goal is to produce effective equipment which could be used to capture electrical energy from thunders. I shall be glad to be a part of the group and witness and contribute my bit to the leading research being carried out at your esteemed university. An opportunity to work in the stimulating environment will certainly make the graduate study a rewarding exercise and a satisfying experience. In terms of research facilities also, you have more to offer to a graduate student. I, therefore, look forward to joining ____________ as a graduate student with utmost financial support possible.
masaji - / 3  
Hi,

The research interests of the faculty are extremely compatible with those of mine as some of the faculty members are pioneering people in their fields

I think using 'expertise' would be better than 'fields' because it sounds more academic.

Thanks,

Home / Graduate / "The best way to predict future is to create it" - SOP fr MS in Power systems