'a citizen of a third world country like Bangladesh' - my SOP

sakib081 1 / -  
I will submit application on the 2nd of January. Could u please help me revising my statement of purpose. Thank u.

The prompt of my SOP was - 1. your reasons for graduate study in International Economics and Finance, 2. the research interest(s) you may wish to pursue in your research paper,3. how your previous studies and experience have prepared you for the MA program and 4. your career objectives and how the MA program relates to them.

It would be of great help if you can help me with my final editing

Being a citizen of a third world country like Bangladesh, I was always curious about the gap in wealth between developed and developing countries. Is the disparity caused by only the geographical factors? Or maybe other factors are behind it? With such questions in mind, I chose "XyZ" to get my undergraduate degree, hoping that I can find the answers. Moreover, inspired by this curiosity I joined a Non-Government Organization (NGO) as a part-time officer, so that I can understand the various problems of our economy from a grass root level. The organization ran various development projects throughout Bangladesh, so it gave me plenty of opportunities to work and gather information on a field level. However, without any knowledge of finance and economics theories, I could not discover a convincing answer to the disparity problem.

Fortunately, during my undergraduate degree I was able to attend a series of economics and finance lectures, where I gathered some knowledge on microeconomics, macroeconomics, and international financial management. After studying these courses, my interest became broader, with the original question of what causes the disparity between developed and developing countries, now I was also curious about the various government policy issues, the international trade of Bangladesh, crowding out effect, etc. Moreover, I was mesmerized by the professors' insightful knowledge and it inspired me to become a lecturer. Being able to research the socio economic problems and teaching the students became my dream. I am confident that the MA in International Economics and Finance program can provide me the knowledge to quench my curiosity, and the educational background to make my dream come true.

I believe four aspects of my previous studies and experiences have prepared me for the MA program, they are - a strong background in both finance and economics; research experiences; work experience in the development sector; and teaching assistantships in various courses. I would also like to add that, two of my favorite subjects are Mathematics and Statistics and I always performed very well in these courses. As my transcript shows, I have obtained an A in every mathematics and statistics course I have taken, except for one mathematics course. Strong background in these subjects has helped me in many of my finance projects like performance evaluation of banks and mutual funds, valuation of Heidelberg Cement, etc. I believe my knowledge in Mathematics and Statistics gives me an edge in studying and doing research in economics. And I am confident that my previous studies and experiences will help me do very well in the MA program.

The experience of being a teaching assistant helped me to develop my professional skills with professors and improved my communication and public speaking ability with students. My duties as a teaching assistant included helping professors to prepare literature and answer keys for classes, assisting students in their projects and helping them to solve course related problems. And all these experiences enhanced my confidence to be a professor some day.

For the research paper I would like to pursue a topic from either of the following two broad aspects of economics. The first one is international trade, to be more specific I would like to investigate how international trade is opening up opportunities for developing countries like Bangladesh. Moreover, I would like to find out how it is effecting the economic growth of those countries. The second one is the Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) models, through these models I would try to find out how developing economies react to different set of policy changes.

I would like to end my essay with a hope that my credentials are sufficient to join your international economics and finance program. This is the most appropriate choice for me because of its reputation, extensive coursework and world class faculty members, which will enable me to learn the advanced theories of economics and achieve my lifelong dream of becoming a lecturer.
mobiusfn 2 / 5  
Or maybe other factors are behind it?

what you have written is not a question. I would write : or are there other factors behind it?

With such questions in mind, I chose "XyZ" to get my undergraduate degree, hoping that I can find the answers.
- I wouldn't put quotes in the colored part, some people might want to. I think no quotes is better than quotes here.
-- degree, hoping that I can find the answers. vs degree in the hope to find answers. (which is better? Make your call. I prefer 2nd option).

Moreover, inspired by this curiosity I joined a Non-Government Organization (NGO) as a part-time officer, so that I can understand the various problems of our economy from a the grass root level. The organization ran various development projects throughout Bangladesh. Hence, the organization gave me plenty of opportunities to work and gather information on a field level. However, without any knowledge of finance and economic theories, I could not discover a convincing answer to the disparity problem.

Fortunately, during my undergraduate degree I was able to attend a series of economics and finance lectures, where I gathered some knowledge on microeconomics, macroeconomics, and international financial management. After studying these courses, my interest became broader.

with the original question of what causes the disparity between developed and developing countries, now I was also curious about the various government policy issues, the international trade of Bangladesh, crowding out effect, etc.

Along with the disparity problem, I also became curious about various issues such as the international trade of Bangladesh, crowding out effect, and various government policy issues.

Moreover, the professors' insightful knowledge mesmerized meand it inspired me to become a lecturer. Being able to research the socio-economic problems and to teach students, became my dream. I am confident that the MA in International Economics and Finance program can provide me with the knowledge to quench my curiosity, and the educational background to make my dream come true.

And I am confident that my previous studies and experiences will help me to do very well in the MA program.

Your program is the most appropriate choice for me because of its reputation, extensive coursework ...

Hope this helps.

Also, can you please review my essay?

Home / Graduate / 'a citizen of a third world country like Bangladesh' - my SOP