'clinical and basic science' - University of chicago medical essay

afmajo 1 / -  
At the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, we strive to identify students who will be a great "fit" with our medical school. Our Mission Statement is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. Please reflect on its content and write an essay describing why you see yourself as a great "fit" for Pritzker. Please include examples of past service, community, clinical, educational, and research experiences. Please also discuss your future goals.

"At the University of Chicago, in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity.

(3500 characters)

During my sophomore and junior years in college, I participated in the Continuing Umbrella for Research Experiences Program at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) sponsored by Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center. I worked in the laboratory of Dr. N_ where I studied genetic alterations and cell signaling pathways leading up to pancreatic cancer. Thanks to this experience, I have resolved to pursue a career as a physician scientist.

Most recently, I contributed to a collaborative research project between the B_ lab and Dr. J's group (at MGH) evaluating the efficacy of small molecule inhibitors in pancreatic cancer therapy. My work involved treating kras mutant pancreatic cancer mice with two novel drug candidates, maintaining treatment cohorts and records, monitoring animal health and tracking their survival using statistical methods.

My experience with this project has been very rewarding. I enjoy the intellectual challenges of research and the direct clinical and societal relevance of our investigations. Working at MGH supplemented and advanced my undergraduate education in molecular biology and biochemistry. As a result, I accepted to serve as a biochemistry-teaching assistant for two semesters. I have also benefitted immensely from the academic and professional guidance of my mentors. Their continued support encourages me to pursue excellence in research, clinical and public service.

I am particularly interested in bench investigation of tumor markers, and their clinical incorporation in early cancer detection. I am also looking forward to applying tumor markers in global and public health contexts - especially in screening and preventing cancers in minority and disadvantaged populations. At University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, I would have plenty of opportunities for interdisciplinary scholarship combining basic science and clinical and public health research. Also, the analytical approach of your MD program will aid my attaining of necessary quantitative and qualitative research skills, preparing me for a role in academic oncology.

I would further supplement an excellent clinical and basic science education at Pritzker with continued involvement in public service. I organized a Human Rights Film Festival to raise awareness on global "health" issues in 2008. While developing my doctoring skills will top my priorities as a medical student, it is also important to me that I continue to pursue social justice work. I am inspired by local and international advocacy and service efforts of University of Chicago students and faculty. I feel I would fit well with this community of activists. I am strongly motivated to design and implement a community healthcare worker-training program in Nigeria in the next five years.

Perhaps, I have set high goals for myself - becoming a clinician, a researcher, an educator, and an activist. But I am confident that I can achieve them, especially if given the opportunity to study at the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine. A combination of research and service opportunities, physician scientist role models, and the flexible individual time offered by "The Pritzker Curriculum" will inspire me along my pursuits. I sincerely believe that your school is the best place for me to obtain my medical education.
Liebe 1 / 542 2  
Please reflect on its content and write an essay describing why you see yourself as a great "fit" for Pritzke

^So, how are you a great fit for Pritzke then?
I also felt that in regards to whatever has already been written, there should be some more analysis and discussion to show what truly made those experiences so 'rewarding' or what made your research have an 'intellectual challenge' to it.
varunvats298 - / 1  
letter of motivation for a clinical fellowship (i am a urologist)

hi
i am a urologist
and want to apply for a clinical fellowship in europe
please guide me on how to write a letter of motivation for a clinical fellowship in urology
thanks
Tinara 1 / 2  
I am having trouble writing motivational letters myself. If it helps, you can take a look at my personal statement. I wrote about what motivates me to become a physician assistant. Good luck to you!

Home / Graduate / 'clinical and basic science' - University of chicago medical essay