Need to convince AD COM that I'm passionate about computer science despite my low GPA

SonOfLOL 1 / -  
Sorry, it looks kinda long. You can skip most of it, but the paras im worried about are the 4th and 6th one.

There's no essay prompt, just a general Statement of Purpose. Interests, Future Goals etc.

______________BEGINS HERE______________

"Just recently mankind did something extraordinary. We managed to follow and land on a comet 370 million miles away, all thanks to computer science, dedicated individuals, and of course Physicists. Everything is moving at a great pace and we find ourselves living in the most exciting chapters of human history. I believe that getting a graduate degree in computer science from LOL College is the best way to keep up with these exciting times while creating opportunities for myself.

The sheer amount of options computer science makes available to even the most inexperienced people is what amazes me. For instance, this one time, I saw my mum and little brother were fighting over the TV remote. All I had to do was buy off my friends used Raspberry Pi board and write some scripts that'll auto download her favorite soap operas onto it so she can watch it on TV later. We didn't have to buy an expensive DVR. Man, was she proud of me. Or the other time when I wrote a program to scrape results off the university website which otherwise would have taken a painstakingly long time. Ultimately it has become a way of life and to be completely honest, I love every second of it.

My interest in computer science only became greater during my undergraduate program. All the concepts I learnt dramatically changed my insight and perspective of things I thought I knew, making me more curious to where it all could lead. The projects I chose to work on with our team in accordance to the academic syllabus were separated into two sections. The first section, or main project, was called "Estimating Acidity in Precipitation Using Carbon Monoxide Satellite Imagery". The second section (mini project) was titled "A System to Filter Unwanted Messages from OSN User Walls". Working on these projects with my friends was an amazing and also a very humbling experience. In addition to these academic I've also done small projects of my own to hone my programming skills, on the way I picked up various, libraries, frameworks and techniques which helped me realize the power of open source.

After my junior year I interned at a local software firm which also marks my first stint with the corporate world of Software Development. Apart from gaining valuable knowledge about the SDLC, I count the whole experience as educational. I loved the corporate setting and the value that comes with being a team member. After graduating I joined the United Health Group IS as an Associate Software Engineer and recently I've become more intrigued with Competitive Programming and Algorithm Design. I sincerely hope that by fall 2015 I'll be competent enough to join the LOL College programming team, and if not I hope to learn a great deal from the current members.

My aim after getting my master's degree in computer science is to contribute to the world in the best way I can. Someday I would like to be part of team that overcomes the impossible. I am eager to take on the problems we are facing now and will face later on, then turning these problems into solutions. The reason I want a graduate degree in computer science so badly is because the field is ever-changing and its value to life as we know it cannot really be measured. I want to understand it to the best of my ability while gaining the skills to use it effectively.

Hindsight may not always be a pleasant thing, but it's surely a necessary thing. This was a very important lesson to me. I understand that it's not all sunshine and rainbows at LOL College. I also understand that graduate studies require an unprecedented amount of hard work and dedication. Undergraduate studies taught me a great deal about myself, but more importantly it taught me how to learn from my mistakes. Perhaps, enthusiasm of starting over in a great city and going to a great college is definitely something that will push me to work harder than ever before. I honestly believe that I can excel in this program, because a master's degree in computer science from LOL College, in possibly one of the most influential cities in the world such as New York, is surely the best career choice I can make."
BereMol 2 / 3  
While talking about personal experiences is okay, maybe you should focus to more professional cases (if you have work experience of course), in the academic cases you could explain in a brief way the problems that you experienced and how you overcame this difficulties.

You also talk about what you're going to do after your masters degree and thats perfect! But maybe be more specific on how can you contribute to the world, is there something in particular that you want to improve?

Avoid using phrases like "Man, was she proud of me" or "sunshine and rainbows". Be more formal on the way you write.

Home / Graduate / Need to convince AD COM that I'm passionate about computer science despite my low GPA