Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

More convinsing? - My motivation toward Master in English Linguistics

mita 1 / -  
Hi,

Thank you for opening my thread! I'm now preparing for my application to the Master course in English literature in Switzerland, and I am struggling with my motivation letter for it, because I feel it is not persuasive enough for a matriculation because my motivation is not based on an academic history, but my two-year travel. Could you kindly revise my essay and give me feed-backs to improve it and correct gramatical mistakes as well?

Thank you very much!

To whom it may concern:

I'm applying for Master's Degree Programme in Languages and Literatures in English at , with special qualification in Linguistics as a major and, in Literature as a minor. I am very interested in study at your University because of the interdisciplinary course structures with global view. I believe my academic background combined with my rich experiences of work and the travel may fulfill the criteria for matriculation and contribute to improvement of researches in English Department.

Through the two-year travel experience around the world, I became understand that language is an essential factor to understand culture, society, politics, and even a national character in each country. I would love to deepen my interest in the correlations between language structures and societies to have a linguistic bird's-eye view of societies of the world by researching societies in which English are used widely. I chose Switzerland for studying English Linguistics and Literature because of an unique environment which can see influences on food and the locals' temperament more likely by surrounding countries with the same language than by the Swiss nationality. I believe that this circumstance allows me to broaden my interest in relationships between society and language.

In my bachelor study at Nanzan University, I focused on influences of Celtic literature and culture on modern Irish musicians and fairly tales such as Harry Potter at my final thesis, contained about 50 pages written in English and referring around 20 books. This graduation thesis achieved a high score and I believe that the researching technique and logical writing skills will be useful for my further research in the Master course.

At a governmental project to promote the tourism on Aichi prefecture now, I have acquired a lot of skills which are sufficient for researches in the Master course. Firstly, competence to coordinate tours and workshops smoothly is my advantage gained through creating daily bus tours to the areas without famous touristic attractions. My work is to discover the interesting cultural resources in the areas and promote them by bus tours. Analyzing customer surveys, making statistics and giving a presentation to local touristic associations are the other fundamental skills for practical research.

Japanese society which is aging, in an economical decline for 20 years and has experienced crucial earthquake in March is now on the way to search another system of the society. What I want to achieve through the Master course is to gain the cognitive methods and theoretical knowledge to use for meeting these social need in Japan. I am confident that my outstanding motivation as well as curiosity towards exploration into the Master course study allows me to make use of my own research into a practical level and contribute to the English Departmental research and both societies-Switzerland and Japan.

Thank you for your consideration to my documents and I am looking forward to joining your Master's program at the English department, and having a positive reply.

Sincerely,

I will be glad to have any kind of feed-back you'll give, thanks a alot!

Mita

Home / Graduate / More convinsing? - My motivation toward Master in English Linguistics