'Enjoying outdoors' - SOP for MS admission in anthropology

kaziboo13 1 / -  
There was actually no prompt for this SOP. The application just requires one. I'm a very succinct writer, and I like things to be short and sweet, instead of long and wordy.

"I have always enjoyed the outdoors and because of this, I entered college as a biology major. In addition to the regular curriculum, I participated in a trip to West Virginia for a field Herpetology class, which awakened a love for fieldwork. This and a course on Human Origins led me to join an archaeology field school. It was this experience that not lonely unleashed my fervor archaeological fieldwork, but also led me to adopt anthropology as a second major. Since the field school, I have pursued a career in anthropology. For example, I regularly volunteer in my university's archaeological laboratory, gaining knowledge and experience of processing and cataloging artifacts. I have been actively engaged in research, most recently presenting at the Midwest Archaeological Conference on work done on a collection at the university's museum. At this museum, I also helped prepare an exhibit that was on display this past summer. Currently, I have an article under consideration for the local archaeological society, and I am writing an article in collaboration with an archaeology professor that will be submitted to a peer-reviewed journal in the spring. When I graduate, I will have both a degree in anthropology and a degree in biology. I would love nothing more than to combine these two interests and embark on a path of study in physical anthropology.

The anthropology department at Arizona State University would be a good fit for me because my interests are shared with your faculty, especially Dr. Kaye Reed, Dr. William Kimbel, Dr. Curtis Marean and Dr. Christopher Campisano. The combinations of sciences employed in faculty research are an attraction, as I want to be in a place where I can develop and apply my skills and knowledge about the past. The Ledi-Geraru Research Project and the Mossel Bay Archaeological Project are of particular interest to me. Since I am passionate about fieldwork, the department's field schools and projects would provide opportunities for me to not only learn from different archaeologists are different localities, but to also become involved in research such as that being carried out at Hadar, Ethiopia. I am particularly excited about the Institute of Human Origins, which would provide a unique learning opportunity with its focus on what I would like to study.

My assets include a passion for research and tenacity in problem solving. With labs in my archaeology, biology and chemistry classes, I have learned that attention to detail is crucial and I have worked to develop this skill. I am extremely enthusiastic about fieldwork and thrive in a team environment. I am inquisitive and curious about the world around me, and to a greater degree, the world as it once was. I am interested in the application of biological methods to human evolution and the effect environmental change has on human populations and physiology. I would appreciate being given the chance to devote my time and energy to the anthropological research conducted at Arizona State University, and through that association, contribute to the field of physical anthropology."

That's basically my SOP. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Prettywings 1 / 74  
that not lonelyonly
combinationsconfluences of sciences employed in faculty research are an attractionappeal to me ,
archaeologists arein different
but to also become involved

I think you'll do well. Best wishes.

Home / Graduate / 'Enjoying outdoors' - SOP for MS admission in anthropology