'the essential features of the subjects I liked' PHD Economics - Statement of Purpose

aghonia 1 / -  
Hi everybody. Thanks for the great work you are doing here. I hope someone could give some suggestion on my SoP, which I didn't finish yet. However, it could give a reasonable idea of the overall project.

Please don't be gentle

My passion in Economics flourished during the High School final year, as soon as I realized its peculiarity to embody the essential features of the subjects I liked most. It was like both constraining Social Philosophy to prove consistent towards empirical word, in such a way similar to Astronomy, and providing History with the stringent causal relations I appreciated in Physics. . Although subtle, I tend to recognize a cogent tie which encloses the top marks I achieved in Ancient Greek classes attended during High School and the focus on mathematical methods which I rapidly expanded during my undergraduate and MSc studies in Economics. Precisely, I use to notice how much the awareness through which a topic is inspected, is affected by the involved instruments of analysis, with a direct relationship between the broadness of perception and the degree of familiarity with the employed tools. Coherently, the very awareness which initially urged myself to abruptly divert from the beloved classical studies in order to gather a deeper understanding of social dynamics, set also the pace for the consequent focalization on quantitative instruments, as soon I realized the tribute paid by neoclassical theory to Hamiltonian mechanics.

Methods notwithstanding, I became an avid reader of economic newspapers: as an Italian citizen, articles in value theory, international trade policy and welfare were especially attractive, apparently because of the very dramatic changes occurring in national economy with the consequent and progressive wearing of the country's social layer. Obviously, the financial crisis backlashes strengthened this passion and drove me to attend a course in History of Economic Though, whose formal introduction to the main works of economic thinkers, hinted a wealth of perspective on economic issues.

As an undergraduate student in University of Modena, I was allowed by yearly awarded merit prizes to enrich my library with texts such as the incredibly inspiring Hofbauer and Sigmund's Evolutionary Games and Population Dynamics and Game Theory Evolving from Gintis, which provided a different insight on economic issues by means of tools and concepts I did not find in standard courses, neither in Italy, nor in my rewarding eight-month experience in a Swedish university.

In this light, the decision to enrol to the Economics MSc offered by "XXX" Economics faculty of XXX was not a mere consequence to the merit prize I was offered, since I was attracted by its known tradition in Dynamic studies and by the related presence of H. Gintis and S. Bowles among its staff. The impressive versatility of Dynamical theory as a scientific common language and the broadness of qualitative issues motivated me to further my knowledge, attending the Dynamical Systems course and especially sitting a Complex Dynamical Systems exam in Engineering faculty as soon as I completed Linear Algebra, Optimization, Economic Dynamics and Dynamical Optimization courses in my faculty.

With no doubts, this theoretical background was a good starting point when I was asked to employ econometric analysis in the Treasury Accounting department, in which I'm working now after having won an internship. To be more precise, having been asked to test the consistency of XXXXX a fundamental regulatory innovation which strictly manages Italian Regions and Municipalities, I decided to develop a modified Kalman filter. This advanced instrument, borrowed from Dynamical System theory, gave impressive insights, after fine-tuning, and brought solid proof of our assumptions. I am proud of this demanding internship, which I won on a national-base competition. Given the emergency state of national economy, the Economic Ministry is held directly by the actual prime minister, prof. Mario Monti; hence, due to its reinforced leading authority among national institutions, we are allowed to innovate national economic policy putting under hard demand both economic theory and methods. In my daily routine here at XXXX, the holistic approach I am asked to keep emerges through the combination of technical skills required to uncover time series dynamical proprieties and provide forecasts with a truly lawmaker perspective. Furthermore, constant team-working with the Executive Manager requires me to heavily rely on mediating and cooperative abilities acquired as the MSc student representative throughout the three years.
My passion for Economics flourished during the High School final year, as soon as I realized its ability (?) to embody the essential features of the subjects I liked most.

It was like both constraining Social Philosophy to prove consistent towards empirical word, in such a way similar to Astronomy, and providing History with the stringent causal relations I appreciated in Physics.

. Although subtle, I tend to recognize a cogent tie which encloses the top marks I achieved in Ancient Greek classes attended during High School, and the focus on mathematical...

Methods notwithstanding, I became an avid reader of economic newspapers: as an Italian citizen, articles in value theory, international trade policy and welfare were especially attractive, apparently because of the very dramatic changes occurring in national economy, with the consequent and progressive wearing of the country's social layer.

Obviously, the financial crisis backlashes strengthened this passion and drove me to attend a course in History of Economic Thought , (?) whose formal introduction to the main works of economic thinkers, hinted a wealth of perspective on economic issues.

... hence, due to its reinforced leading authority among national institutions, we are allowed to innovate national economic policy, putting under hard demand both economic theory and methods.

:)

Home / Graduate / 'the essential features of the subjects I liked' PHD Economics - Statement of Purpose