'Fascination in electronics, from Bangalore, India' - evaluate my SOP

kannada 1 / 1  
Below is my sop which i am planning to submit for my Masters Prg.Please evaluate it give me feed back.

I am Shashank H.R, who has done his undergraduate degree in electrical engineering, from the famous Sir M Visvesvaraya Institute of Technology, Bangalore, India.

When did my fascination for electronics start? As I sit down to pen my Statement of Purpose, I am reminded of an incident many years ago. My cousin got an electronic, remote-controlled toy car on his 5th birthday. I started fiddling with it and soon took it apart. But I could not reassemble the pieces. My father, an engineer, showed me how to put it back again. I was around 10 years old, but from that time onward I was fascinated with the working of alarm clocks, radios, etc. Whenever I got the opportunity, I would take electronic equipment apart to study how they work. In time I learnt to break down and assemble equipment. My parents did not dissuade me from my interest and when I grew up I understood how everything around us, from mobile phones to aeroplanes work on the principles of electronics. My passionate desire to see electronic equipment work and learn more about them made me take up electronics and telecommunications for my undergraduate degree course.

Born and brought up in a small village, I had a tough time adjusting to life in a big city like Bangalore. The city, with its fast pace of life, intimidated me in the beginning. But I got myself adjusted to the fast-paced life around me and learned to overcome the challenges that such a city could throw up. Now I look upon myself as an energetic person with a well-rounded personality. I have comprehensive problem solving abilities, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and good interpersonal skills. Since I have a multifarious personality, I know how to treat people with emotional and social maturity. Over the years I have learnt to apply bookish knowledge to a fast-changing world. Since I am growth-oriented and self-motivated, I have been on the lookout for a challenging graduate program, something that could bring out the best in me yet hovering around my area of expertise. My search has brought me to the portals of your esteemed university and I feel the graduate program in the field of structural engineering is just what I need to develop myself further in the direction I envisage.

After finishing my undergraduate degree course, I started working in Wipro Technologies, Bangalore, as Project Engineer. An important project I was involved in was the Airline Network Architecture project for Airbus, Germany. The Airline Network Architecture (ALNA) is a new cabin communication platform for new Airbus Long Range and A380 aircrafts, enabling passengers and crew with wireless and wired communication on A/C and via satellite to ground, communication between various Systems within the A/C, and facility for e-mail, GSM, web-chat and telemedicine. I had to understand the various modules of the software implemented, gather functional knowledge of the Business Processes, and interact with the client to understand the Business requirements, verify them, and ensure there were no gaps. After that I had to prepare the test cases (Module, Functional, and System) for the gathered requirements, run them and report defects to appropriate teams, provide support solving bugs, set up test environment for offshore testing, and facilitate knowledge transfer to team members. In other words, I was deeply involved in the project. I learned how a team works and what is necessary for optimum performance. On a generic plane, I can say that translating advances in science to material benefits for society is not easy. Besides having a burning passion for the subject, one needs to be in tune with the times. I felt that there were areas I need to brush up on, technology-wise. A job, however good it is, cannot ensure I am up to date with technology. Even at the best of times a job entails repetition of methods, processes and technology use. If these are even slightly out of sync with the times and societal needs, then benefits are questionable. So what should I do? How best can I link my learning to societal needs? A graduate program in Electrical and Electronics Engineering or Electrical and Computer Engineering, from a reputable institution that stresses on the practical while giving scope for innovation, is the answer.

I cut my technical teeth, so to speak, when I did the Unmanned Ground Vehicle project, using Embedded C. The main aim of this project was to develop an unmanned remotely controlled hi-tech car with wireless camera to take video. The vehicle, virtually undetectable, had a camera mounted on it and video pictures from the camera were remotely controlled using RF signals. User could control the car by pressing the arrow keys. The VB software converts and then transmits the data to the microcontroller which then sends the data to RF encoder & RF transmitter. Meanwhile the video signals sent by the camera is captured by the PC using TV tuner card. In the vehicle the RF receiver receives the signals and decodes it as commands using decoder chips; this decoded value, read by the microcontroller, is used to control the movement of car. The vehicle could be used for remote surveillance and to get information of a place in a hostile environment.

Experiences like these sharpened my inclination to engage in active research. I learned that the basis for good work is self-reliance and, very importantly, time management. I learned to accept both criticism and praise with a positive frame of mind. My work involved interacting with various kinds of people. I feel my experiences in these projects would stand me in good stead in the future.

Besides academics, I took an active part in technical and extra-curricular activities. I secured the 2nd place in the rural IT-Quiz organized by Tata Consultancy Services and 4th rank at State level in the 2nd International Science meet. I also take part in quiz competitions and am an avid sportsman and adventure sports enthusiast. I regularly go for trekking and play cricket, volleyball and tennis.

Thus I would like to submit that my formative years went beyond the portals of the classroom. My innate empathy for fellow humans got a fillip when my parents encouraged me to do my bit for society in whatever way possible. They taught me that being an active member of society will not only help me contribute to the world I am a part of but also develop the talents that have been lying dormant hitherto.

Reading Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad Poor Dad was quite an eye opener. In short, the book changed my financial thinking and now I dream of starting my own company one day. But before that I need to complete my education and get experienced in the ways of the world.

Your eminent faculty and excellent facilities inspire me to pursue my dream of an MS in _______________, in right earnest. I would also like to assure you that I am fully aware of the possible pitfalls and am extremely confident of being academically successful in this program. In turn, I hope that the program will further my professional development. I look forward, with all humility, to being an active part of your esteemed institution.

Thanks,
Shashank
scosc - / 3 1  
Hello,

Well I don't know if everyone agrees but I guess I would start differently the first line. I think you should start with a hook, something that motivates the reader to continue.

I like how the second paragraph approaches your passion for the field. I would just rephrase the question, to make it more appealing. I mentioned something about my childhood (you mention your father) but I received an advice to be careful regarding this issue. Maybe you should rephrase that as well.

I think you also talk very less about your undergrad experience, what impacted you during your undergrad. What about the GPA?

Towards the end I think there is no flow between the last three paragraphs. You should try to get a more flowing between your education and the book you read.

I like the last paragraph.

Good luck :)
OP kannada 1 / 1  
Wht abt the length??
What do you reckon how should be the opening...with a maxim??
What about childhood story what warning you got??

Home / Graduate / 'Fascination in electronics, from Bangalore, India' - evaluate my SOP