How do you hope to develop, both personally and professionally, during this one-year program at MSBA

varunsingh2695 2 / 3  

the next step: msba texas

Why is the Texas MSBA the next logical step for you? How do you hope to develop, both personally and professionally, during this one-year program? (250 words maximum)

The field of data analytics came out of stealth to me in my 3rd year of undergrad. I was fascinated by how SAP, a leading software company partnered with an eSports team to use of game data to predict the outcome of games and help players make better decisions in-game.

Through my experience as the head of Dance, Dramatics and Fashion club during my undergrad, and as a member of various committees in the techinical fests in college, I have learned that the knowledge and the use of previous data are important for planning and allocating funds. During my final year into my undergrad, I started preparing to get selected in an analytics firm by learning java and R programming. With an engineering major in Civil Engineering I was already equipped with a solid analytical background. Resulatntly, I got selected by Deloitte to work as a Business Techonology Analyst .

During my major project for my undergrad, I learnt and made use of fuzzy logic and k-means clustering technique to determine the level of service (rating) of a road. At Deloitte, while working with Anthem Inc., an American health insurance company, my team and I worked to process and leverage healthcare provider develop dashboards faor the client managers using Informatica, DB2, MS Excel, Tableu. I learnt about data warehousing techniques and got a good exposure to Informtica ETL tool, Database systems like DB2, unix shell scripting and SQL. Deloitte gave me a healthy mix of analytics and business consulting exposure which gave me a good perspective of how data can be leveraged to answer some problems and optimize processes.

My immediate goal after graduating from the McCombs School of Business is to extensively learn the tools and skills required to gather insights, spell out the results in various business contexts, and work for a business-consulting firm to apply what I learn during the program. My long team vision lies in extending the benefits of analytics and data for public welfare-developing models by using data to control and cut down the soaring cost of healthcare in India and elsewhere.With the help of the faculty, the peer group and the intense technical curriculum with a blend of business environment experience (Capstone course), develop all the professional and soft skills needed to help me succeed in my work. Therefore this program is the next logical step for me.

I look forward to learning and also utilising my work experience to contribute to the program.
Varun, your response is totally incorrect. It does not apply at all to the questions provided by the prompt. You are discussing your past while the essay is asking about your current professional skills, training, and academic expectations for your time as a student. This essay just lays out the foundation of your educational background and nothing more. Therefore, the essay cannot be used as a response to the given prompts. You have to revise this essay in a manner that better responds to the prompt requirements. Let me see if there are parts of this essay that can be salvaged for use in your new draft.

Why is the Texas MSBA the next logical step for you?
-You do not have a definitive response to this question. Your academic background is relevant to a certain extent only. You should not focus so much on your college education because, while it allowed you to get the job you currently have, your current job has trained you beyond your previous academic experience to help you perform the required work tasks. To properly respond to this, you must focus on the discussion of what your current job description is ,what sort of continuing education and training you have received, and why you feel that your current skills and training have taken you to the end of your best abilities in relation to your profession. That way, when you respond to this question, you create the foundation for your response to the next question which is:

How do you hope to develop, both personally and professionally, during this one-year program?
- Instead of discussing what your future plans are, you must discuss how you plan to utilize the course curriculum, research opportunities, and other training programs that the university offers its masters students. Explain how these academic goals of yours supplement your past professional training and how these will help you address your future professional goals with specificity.

Once you have directly responded to each prompt with relevant responses, you should have a more aligned prompt response draft that you can work on improving in terms of content. As of now, you need to delete this version and write a new draft. Make sure to align your response with the explanations I provided above. The explanations should help you figure out what information you should provide from your background to create a proper response to every question.
OP varunsingh2695 2 / 3  
Here's the essay question:
Boom Shaka Laka - / 1  
Varun, the entire essay only ends up answering the first question of the essay prompt. The question 'How do you hope to develop, both personally and professionally, during this one-year program?' is scarcely touched on. This essay could be written in three paragraphs; the first answering the question 'Why is the Texas MSBA the next logical step for you?'. The second answering the question 'How do you hope to develop, both personally and professionally, during this one-year program?' and the last paragraph simply concluding and creating a synergy between the two paragraphs. You are also advised to trim down the details answering the first question on the prompt. To that effect, you could start your essay with your experience with Anthem Inc., since that experience is what led to the decision that the Texas MSBA is 'the next logical step for you'.

Home / Graduate / How do you hope to develop, both personally and professionally, during this one-year program at MSBA