What are you most proud of personally and/or professionally and why? Essay for MBA application

vincenm 11 / 26  
Answer the two Q.s with approx. 250 words each.
a.What are you most proud of personally and/or professionally and why?
b.How will you contribute to your classes and to the college community?

a.
Even though the world is globalized, we still face a multitude of conflicts in both personal and professional lives due to lack of sensitivity and empathy for those who differ in beliefs from us. Such prejudices often result in frictions, which could have been avoided if people only took time to truly understand one another.

Having grown up for 17 years in culturally and racially heterogeneous Qatar, I developed an outlook that is far removed from what is seen in India and the Middle East. I have interacted with Arabs, Somalians, Americans, and Filipinos. I have been exposed to the liberal lifestyle of the Scandinavians and the conservative mentality of the Middle Easterners. Every interaction with other nationalities showed me a different side of their social mindset. Studying with Pakistanis made me realize that the jingoistic stereotypes about them in India are overhyped. I respect the fact that my European boss is in a common-law relationship and nothing changed in our personal bond, even though such relationships are frowned upon in India.

All these interactions made me learn not to let any disagreements I have with cultures get in the way of empathizing with people. Such experiences made me value a person's character and intellect and not judge anyone based on race, appearance and sexuality. Whether it is to brainstorm solutions with other delegates in Model UN or to work professionally with client and HP teams based in 5 continents , I learned to appreciate the various cultures of the world, enabling me to adapt my working and communication style to handle such diversity. This diversity I have experienced both in my professional and personal life thus helped me develop an open-mind and it is this aspect that I am most proud of.

b.
My expertise in providing solutions to problems faced by customers in the supply chain network spread across more than 15 countries will allow me to contribute to team assignments. With my earlier successes in changing the business processes in my team and doing quality analysis of the team in Bangalore, I can provide valuable insights to the team members, who come from non- IT professional background, of the various projects that I will be involved in. Besides the experience I have handling interactions with clients and HP teams across the five continents, along with the international upbringing I had in the Middle East, will help me give a unique perspective in the classroom on various topics that are more global in nature.

Besides for the four years I studied I was always involved in various events and initiatives in my college, and I plan on involving myself in the clubs, extra-curricular activities and college events once I join AGSM. I have the opportunity to join the public speaking an debating club , helping the members and myself to learn from each other's experience in debating on various topics. The experience I had starting and managing the Model UN event in my college is something I want to share with the club and, if possible , I would like start a similar inter-collegiate event at AGSM. Additionally the consulting and marketing clubs provide an avenue where I can contribute through the various projects and competitions. Doing community service in college and at work has strengthened my resolve to give back to the society by joining the social impact club at AGSM, and by donating to the university scholarship fund as an alumnus.
lightfox 3 / 27 24  
The essay asked for what are you most proud of, and while you certainly eventually answered that question at the very end of your essay and gave some decent points following up to it, you need to mention what you are proud of at the very beginning of the essay. The admissions committee wants to have a good idea of what they are about to read, and while your first two sentences touches upon what it is I'm expecting, it does not answer the question right away. So what you wrote in the last sentence is has to be introduction to your essay. Instead of restating your thesis at the end of the paragraph, briefly explain how being more open-minded has helped you become a better person, or how being open-minded is a valuable skill.

I will look at your second essay later today.

Home / Graduate / What are you most proud of personally and/or professionally and why? Essay for MBA application