Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

'the human element in patient care' - AMCAS Personal Comments Essay

mclawhornjm 1 / -  
This is the second time I have applied to medical school and this draft has undergone many revisions. I would graciously appreciate any and all advice and suggestions in helping me to make it better.

I was first given the responsibility to help care for my grandmother in 2003 when she underwent a series of surgeries that included two partial knee replacements. Her resolve and determination forever left a lasting impression that continues to give me sustenance in times of hardship. My sympathy and dedication to her well being only intensified when complications of her original knee surgeries caused her to undergo two complete knee replacements which left her conditionally immobile. For years I had planned on pursuing a career in the arts, but the time I invested in caring for my grandmother, convinced me that medicine is my true calling.

In order to prepare myself for one of the many avenues in the field of medicine, I engaged in many rigorous science classes at Hendrix College. While at Hendrix, my enthusiasm for the study of life and the physical world was ignited. In fact, one of my professors joked, "You are always here when I arrive and still here when I leave, I just hope you work as hard on your personal life as you do here." As a matter of fact, I was very proficient in blending my collegiate curriculum with my responsibilities at home. Not only was I the recipient of the Dean's List award for three consecutive semesters at Hendrix College but I was also selected by my professors of the biology department to graduate with distinction in biology. All the while, I continued to give aide to my grandmother for many nights of the week.

Two years after my first classes at Hendrix College, I had the honor of shadowing Dr. Jose Romero of UAMS at AR Children's Hospital. I went in thinking that I would just look at patients behind a plate glass wall; I had no idea that I would be asked by Dr. Romero to join in on the discussions with his medical school students and residents regarding the diagnosis and treatment of his patients. I was humbled and excited because I could finally put all those years of science classes to good use, or so I thought. Dr. Romero's success as a physician became evident from the empathy and respect for the concerns of his patients and their families. Thus, what became evident, especially during the passing of one of our patients, was the importance of the human element in treating disease. Our technology may be able to take medical care to new frontiers, but only the human element has the capacity for tenderness and compassion that truly improves patients' quality of life.

I have thus set out to create my own work of art by improving the quality of care for hundreds of patients using the skills I have acquired along the way. Such a portrait is now only being primed, but the scenic route that I have traveled thus far has given me many inspirations upon which I will build a career of compassionate care for many years to come. Indeed, I have worked at North River Surgery Center for nearly three years now and have taken part in multiple pre-operational procedures that has included recording patients' blood pressure, blood oxygen saturation level, heart rate, temperature, beta-hemoglobin level, blood glucose level, and helped to reduce the patients' anxieties as they waited for their procedures. My experience at NRSC has allowed me to gain insight into dealing with patients of all ages and at all income levels. I have worked with every kind of patient imaginable; from very compliant and cooperative to extremely incoherent or belligerent. No matter the circumstances of the particular patient or procedure, I have the confidence and the experience to provide a high quality service to those in need.

In order to further expand the scope of my skills, I acquired a full-time position as a patient care tech at AR Children's Hospital. Not only am I responsible for acquiring the patients' vitals, cleaning wounds, changing bandages/diapers, performing several point of care tests, and maintaining a sterile environment, but I am also relied upon by the patients and their families to instill a sense of comfort and hope. I take pride in ensuring that the utmost compassion and reverence are extended to all of my patients regardless of how quickly paced our surgical unit may be. Thus, my experience has taught me how to maintain my composure and perform my duties in times of distress; a trait that has become indispensable in preventing codes and improving the quality of patient care. My patients at AR Children's Hospital are Arkansas' most valuable asset and they deserve the best family centered care available; which is exactly what they shall receive from me every second of my 12 hour shifts.

I utilize both of my positions as a venue by which I can infuse the human element in patient care. In my career as a physician, I will strive be a friend by showing love and compassion as well as a mentor by which I will counsel and teach so that my patients can lead healthier and more fulfilling lives. The art of patient care is one that requires steadfast determination and special attention to detail, but masterpieces can only be created if all members of the health care team work as a cohesive unit. I am ready and willing to join that team of health care professionals and I pray that the admissions board sees me worthy to join the company of others that share my dream for success in an M.D. program.

Home / Graduate / 'the human element in patient care' - AMCAS Personal Comments Essay