'knowledge will not acquire you' - SOP, Computer Science

AASHWINK 1 / -  
Hi,
Can you please evaluate my SOP.

I am a firm believer of the proverb "Be curious always, for knowledge will not acquire you; you must acquire it."- Sudie Back. I believe that a graduate study at "ABC" in Computer Science with world renowned professors and impressive facilities will definitely help me gain more knowledge and also help me reach greater heights in my professional career.

As a person I am diligent, sincere and have an attitude to never give up. From my childhood, I have been fascinated about computers and always wanted to learn about them. Apart from my "DOS commands for the day" sessions with my father, I also learnt about the improvements and developments that were happening in the field of computers from various sources such as journals, books and so forth. My curiosity to learn about computers and how they function made me take a course at Indian Institute of Hardware & Technology, Chennai where I learnt about the hardware aspects of a computer, about the peripherals, history of processors and how instructions are processed by the processor. The desire to learn how to provide instructions to the processor made me take up C/C++ programming as my high school major. As part of my school project, I developed a Cricket game in C++ language using various concepts some of which were not part of my high school curriculum. This project was greatly appreciated and also bagged me the best project award.

I desired to explore more about computers and hence I took up Information Technology as my major at SASTRA University, India. The impressive facilities, my thirst for knowledge and sincerity towards academics helped me build a strong comprehensive foundation in the field of Computers. I have always tried to practically implement the knowledge I gain. During my graduate studies I was involved in a project to connect each and every computer of our hostels using Local Area Network. We formed a small team of and then started assembling the required hardware. After a month of planning, we finally implemented the connections and at the end of this project, around 1200 computers across 3 hostels were connected. This project created a huge repository of data which helped the students immensely and was appreciated by many professors and college management. These connections are used to this date by the students in my college. My desire to be the best in whatever I take up has always been one of my strong points and has also helped me excel in my academics. My academic achievements during my college time were "Subject Topper in Fourier Transform", "Subject Topper in Software Engineering", "Dean's Merit List for Academic Year 2005-06" and "Dean's Merit List for Academic Year 2006-07".

I had the opportunity of undergoing internship at Infosys Technologies Ltd, a multinational servicing company. During my internship I learnt a lot about various Software Engineering processes and also I did my college final year project at Infosys. I developed a system which automated the trainee evaluation process for the Education & Research Department (E&R) of Infosys which is being used up to date. The project involved collecting data of around 7000 trainees along with their evaluations. With this data, the system was able to generate numerous reports which helped E&R department know about the consolidated performance of students in each subject and also helped them evaluate their own teaching staff.

After my graduation, I joined Infosys as a Software Engineer Trainee and received training from the Global Education Center, Mysore and passed the training with a CGPA of 5/5. This achievement made my Delivery Manger hand pick me to for a project with "Aetna", one of Infosys' largest clients and thereon grew my exploits in the Information Technology industry. The data analysis and problem solving skills that I had honed in my college combined with the penchant to outshine in what I do helped me become one of the top performers at Infosys. I was instrumental in the development and maintenance of a server application involving complex concepts like Multithreading, Socket programming, Serialization and so forth. This server handles nearly 1.5 million claims a week with an average response time of less than 1 second. I received the "Most Valuable Player" award for this server development. I have developed numerous tools automating a lot of redundant activities which greatly improved the productivity and efficiency of the team and saved nearly a thousand dollars for every release. During one of the production releases, I suggested to the client about a production like simulation of the new implementation code. This suggestion was accepted and the activity paid rich dividend of providing confidence to the client about the release as the development involved was very huge and very complex. This activity was greatly appreciated by the higher management of Infosys as well as the client. I was also conferred the "Star of IHL" award for this out of the box thinking. I have never shied away from extra responsibilities. I was part of the Configuration Management team and was also the single point of contact for maintaining our project in IBM ClearCase (Versioning Tool). Even during my professional life, my thirst for knowledge never faded. I wanted to learn new technologies and also wanted to enhance my knowledge in the technologies I already knew. The internal certifications at Infosys greatly helped me achieve this. I also got myself certified with "Oracle Certified Java Programmer" with 90% marks. I feel graduate studies at this juncture of my career would not only fulfill my passion for the subject but also equip me to give back a lot more to the industry.

Apart from my academics and professional life, my extracurricular activities involve playing Chess, Cricket, Soccer and computer gaming. I was Runner Up in Fifa 07 tournament in my college tech fest "DAKSH". I am also part of the Infosys Cricket Team and part of my Department Soccer team. I have also participated in various chess tournaments including State level and National level tournaments.

I bring with me a strong base of fundamentals in the computer field and also experience in the industry. I am very confident that the high standards of facilities, student centric approach and the presence of some world renowned faculty at the Department of Computer Science, SUNY, Stony Brooks would not only improve my knowledge in the field of Computers but will also improve me as a person. I believe that a Masters from the Department of Computer Science at your University can provide me an ideal platform from where I can elevate my professional career.

I hope that my background and qualifications are found suitable for MS in Computer Science at "ABC".
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
I believe that a graduate study at "ABC" in Computer Science with world renowned professors and impressive facilities will definitely help me gain more knowledge and also help me reach greater heights in my professional career.

You are saying the right thing, but this sentence is quite long, maybe split into 2?

have an attitude to never give up. re-word this

I have been fascinated with computers

Apart from my "DOS commands for the day" sessions with my father, I alsolearned about the improvements and developments that were happening in the field of computers from various sources such as journals, books and so forth.

Again, say these thing in 2 shorter sentences, it will be easier to read.

where I learnt about the hardware aspects of a computer, about the peripherals, history of processors and how instructions are processed by the processor.
Start with a new sentence here: There, I developed knowledge about peripherals... etc

You are doing a great job with content, you could continue working on the grammar. Good luck!
ketalthedon 1 / 7  
Yeah apart from the few grammatical errors most of which Jennyflower81 mentions above this essay will no doubt impress admission officials.Goodluck.

Home / Graduate / 'knowledge will not acquire you' - SOP, Computer Science