Knowledge is power. SOP For polymer science school

Ashkan123 12 / 33 2  

My Statement of Purpose

From my earliest memory, I have been fascinated by science and technology. I can recall the excitement I felt at the beginning of each month when I bought the new edition of Science magazine when I was ten years old. I must admit, still, that it is to some extent an accident that I found myself in materials engineering school. A friend was studying metallurgical engineering and material science, and he kept explaining various topics he learned about. Little by little, I became intrigued by the field, and I am so glad that I chose to study it. I am excited, just as I was to get my hands on the shiny new issue of Science, to learn more about the materials world.

I chose math and physics for my major in high school, and I took an entrance exam and gained admission to study materials science and metallurgical engineering at a good university. My undergraduate program has given me comprehensive exposure to courses that I found both interesting and practical. The mechanical, physical, properties of material and thermodynamic were some of subjects I studied and, after graduation, I decided to delve into other aspects of material properties. I chose the Master of Mechanical Engineering program at the XXXXX, where I had the chance to learn more about the fracture of materials and material selection in design, among other specialties. However, I should mention that in the first semester is not showing my best effort. unfortunately, during that time, my father had a serious heart problem and that effect on my performance. During my master, I also completed my internship at XXXXX as a mechanical engineer. After graduation, I worked for XXXXX as a metallurgist for two years and, presently, I am working for the XXXXX in XXXXX in the same capacity. I have learned first-hand about failure analysis, understanding different mechanisms that component fails, and how to start an investigation and find the root cause of failure. During this journey, I learned to use different types of equipment such as a scanning electron microscope (SEM) and a tensile testing machine and, of course, how to interpret the results.

Knowledge is power. So far, I have learned a lot about metals, but as a materials engineer, I feel I don't have enough knowledge and background in polymer science. This is why I have chosen to study polymer and polymer science at the XXXX. At my company, the application of polymer materials is becoming more and more common every day. Thus, as a metallurgist and failure-analysis engineer, I need to understand the properties and applications of polymer materials.

I appreciate your consideration of my application, and I am confident that I would be a valuable addition to your program. I look forward to being a part of the XXXXX and assure you that I will make every effort necessary to further enhance its fine reputation.

Thank you!
Raanita /  
Great attempt. Maybe instead of saying you dont have all the knowledge... you can say I want to fill in the gap of knowledge i have in ....the specific area...

All the best.
Ashkan, this is a very good personal statement, it is a horrible statement of purpose. It doesn't refer to any information that a statement of purpose normally contains. It does not tell the reviewer about the foundation of your interest, the training (academic and professional) that you received in order to grow your interest in the field, nor does it contain a goal for your future interests.

A proper statement of purpose kicks off with a reference to your college level prep work for this career. A reference to your recognition in the academic field and an explanation of your thesis would help establish a strong background in the field. Your professional career should be presented as evidence of the evolution of your interest in polymer science. If you are going into the masters school directly from college, explain why you decided to do so. How does polymer science connect with mechanical engineering? That is where your purpose comes into the discussion.

Connect what advancements you have seen in the field of mechanical engineering that you feel will benefit from a direct integration with polymer science. How does the combination create a better final product? As part of your possible masters thesis, explain what kind of results you hope to have achieved through your studies. What sort of breakthrough are you aiming to make? How is that relevant to your profession?

How long do you think it will take you to achieve your plans? Explain what you hope to accomplish over 5 years in this field of combined technologies in order to prove the ultimate purpose of your masters degree studies.

Home / Graduate / Knowledge is power. SOP For polymer science school