MASTERS SOP: Entomology/Ecology!

aeioumanchmaly 1 / 4  
Statement of Purpose: Masters Program in Entomology.

This is my statement of purpose for a graduate program in entomology I plan on applying to. I looked over various websites, and since no word limit was given, I decided to stick with the 500-1000, or two pages max. Thank you for whatever feedback you may have!

At the ripe age of nine years old, I flipped over a table at a restaurant in order to run away from a nearby bee, wreaking havoc in the process. Since that time in my life, however, I have become someone who no longer runs away from bees, but rather towards them.

I hope to pursue my master's degree in Entomology at ABC State University, with a focus on pollinators and beneficial insects in agroecosystems.
[...]
Erin, while your essay presents you as a viable candidate for graduate school, it is actually providing too much unnecessary information at this point. Please refer below for the basic information that is normally expected to be presented in a statement of purpose for graduate school. The information will include:

1. Your current work position and how long you have been connected with your current company;
2. The field of interest that you are interested in mastering in relation to your current work;
4. Your goals and ambitions related to your desire to complete higher studies. (How a masters degree will help you in your current career.);
5. Your short and long term career goals that will be benefited by your completion of masters studies and how you plan to use your studies in the future.

All of this information should cover the 1000 word maximum count covering 2 pages in single space. Try to have your essay represent only these interests. Your past childhood memories / experience and anything during your college life are not really relevant to the essay. In fact, your college education should only be mention in the form of your university and the major you graduated from. A statement of purpose is all about your future career plans in relation to your current work experience, seminars, training, and other work related activities you have recently attended. This is not supposed to be a blast from the past essay. Look forward, not backward when writing this and you will definitely make a good impression on the admissions officer.
OP aeioumanchmaly 1 / 4  
Okay thank you! I felt like that might be the case.
OP aeioumanchmaly 1 / 4  
I tried changing the direction a bit, would you say I have the right idea or do I need to do a complete restructuring? Additionally, any advice on how to begin..e.g. To Whom It May Concern...etc.

To Whom It May Concern:

Extension work and public outreach is essential to translating research into practice, especially in the field of entomology. I hope to someday work with extension research, and a master's degree is essential in helping me to achieve this goal. I graduated from ABC State University this past December with a Bachelor of Science in Zoology with a focus on ecology, as well as an additional degree in German Language and Literature. My experience both working and studying at ABC State University led me to develop an interest in pollination ecology and landscape management. I saw firsthand the potential that lies ahead for research, and sought after a graduate program that offered it. XXX State University offers all of this, being one of the most-established entomology departments in the United States with deep-reaching roots in the field. More importantly, the graduate program at XXX State offers students the possibility to conduct research with some of the best faculty in the country.

While attending ABC State University, my research interests developed while working both at the Student Organic Farm and at the CCC Entomology Lab. How landscapes could be managed ecologically without damaging the agricultural outputs was something I found fascinating at the Student Organic Farm. Furthermore, I saw firsthand the role insects play in agricultural systems, and the continuum of impact they could have on an agroecosystem. As I became more interested in working with research on topics, I sought a position working in the CCC Entomology and Pollination Ecology Lab. My time at the lab was focused on the BBB Pollination project; a pivotal experience that compelled me to pursue a Master's degree in this field.

Working as a technician on the BBB Pollination project, I was attracted to working the focus native pollinators and how agricultural landscapes could be managed to promote them. This experience was invaluable in teaching me the necessary skills to succeed in fieldwork and data collection. Because the project was based in highbush blueberry in Western ABC, I spent long hours conducting fieldwork ranging from pollination experiments to habitat analysis. I helped in conducting vegetation surveys, pollinator collection, habitat delineation, and baseline project setup. I became enthralled with the time that was collecting pollinators, particularly while observing the diversity, abundance, and richness of different communities. Comparing different management style changes and the resulting pollinator abundance, was something I was only able to observe cursorily, but something I hoped to research further.

My desire to gain additional research experience brought me to the D Universität in Germany, where I am currently participating in a fellowship program promoting cross-cultural exchange. In addition to studying agricultural science at the university, I'm volunteering in the palynology department in order to gain more experience with pollen identification, analysis, and photomicrography. Currently I'm working with samples of pollen taken from genus Trigona in Indonesian palm and rubber plantations. I'm hoping to incorporate some of these skills into a project I will work on in February, when I will be assisting with the Garden project of the Agroecology Institute for the D Universität. The Garden project will look at the relationship between pollinators, predators, and urban green spaces, while also assessing community structure and richness. I look forward to working with a wider diversity of beneficial insects in a non-agricultural setting, and as a result, become a better ecologist in the process.

As I previously mentioned, I hope to work with extension research in the future, and a graduate degree from XXX State University will be integral in helping me to achieve this. The consideration that must be given to both economic and environmental factors when making management decisions is something I attribute great value to, and something I hope to work with as a career. In order to gain the necessary experiences to excel in this field, I hope to conduct research in one of the two areas. The first of these is how native bees and other lesser-employed pollinators can be conserved, protected, and utilized in an agricultural ecosystem. Similarly, my other research interest lies in how different landscape management methods can be employed to promote beneficial insects, not limited to pollinators, and how these insects can be utilized for their ecosystem services. XXX State has the faculty, the graduate program, and the community that would be ideal for conducting research in these fields. Furthermore, XXX State's Entomology graduate program has an exceptionally strong extension department as well as focus on pollinators, with The Center for Pollinator Research.

Although pursuing a graduate degree is a serious endeavor, both in terms of time management and research, my undergraduate experience adeptly prepared me to excel under such circumstances. While attending ABC State University, I balanced my time between two jobs, numerous internships, and classwork. While doing this, I was able to achieve a 3.xx GPA during my latter semesters at state. Although my initial undergraduate performance may have been hindered by my overly full-schedule, over the years I have developed the skills that allow me to succeed in the face of adversity. These skills will also help me to excel in the graduate program at XXX State University. I hope that you will seriously consider me as a candidate for your program. Thank you for your time and for your consideration of my application.

Home / Graduate / MASTERS SOP: Entomology/Ecology!