Medical School - trying to par it down

Zakurie84 1 / 1  
"Use the space provided to explain why you want to go to medical school. The available space for your response is 5300 characters, or approximately one full page. You will receive an error message if you exceed the available space. For additional assistance, click "help" on the tool bar at the top of the screen:"

If there is one thing that has shaped my interest in medicine more than any other is the notion that medicine is not just treating disease, but treating the individual who is suffering from the disease. Looking back at the decisions and experiences that have shaped me, I also believe that good physician is shaped, not only by the decisions and mistakes that one makes, but by how one learns from those choices. It is this combination of compassion, knowledge, and understanding that is the foundation of healthcare.

My first exposure to patient care was when I volunteered as a certified nursing assistant for a local assisted living home. The patients I worked with rarely complained about the chronic pains that they were assuredly suffering from, but more often complained about the lack of understanding and care that they received. Because of this, I would often spend a few extra minutes with each of my patients just to talk. It was a little thing, but it gave patients the sense of not just being treated, but cared for. It was through the caring of the elderly and severely disabled that I caught my first glimpse into what being a healthcare provider really means.

I began working in a medical lab focused on clinical toxicology to help pay for graduate school for my wife, while pursing my undergraduate degree. The hours were long, as I often would work 70-hour weeks, but the job was rewarding. Although my studies during this period suffered, I learned about many aspects of medicine that have shaped me into an effective healthcare professional. I learned that patient care should be the primary focus of any healthcare provider, and that there is never an appropriate excuse for poor patient care. In addition, I learned the importance of effective laboratory work, and its integral place in healthcare. While working in my lab, I loved being involved in health care, but as I continued to learned about medicine, the more I desired an involvement in medicine and patient care that I would never have in a lab. The lack of patient interaction and my fascination, and drive, to understand the workings of the human body drove a desire to better understand medicine. I began shadowing several physicians at local hospitals, and after weeks of research and several discussions with these providers, I decided that I wanted to study medicine and become a physician.

Not wanting to waste anytime learning more about medicine, I entered into a Masters of Public Health program at the University of Utah. My commitment to healthcare has been reflected in the research, and perfect grades I have produced while in this graduate program. The rigorous coursework and long discussions with the physicians who taught my classes exposed me to a broader perspective of the healthcare system, and has helped give me a better understanding of medicine.

While in graduate school I desired to develop a better understanding of global medicine, so I pursued medical research in less developed countries. During the summer of 2013, I co-lead a global health research initiative in Armenia. My research on diabetes prevalence and knowledge sent me to the corners of rural Armenia. The destitute conditions of the rural villages, compared to the grandiose capital city, gave me a deeper understanding of how economic disparity effects health knowledge and outcomes.

In the rural Armenian villages, it was common to see lines of patients waiting for care that would stretch out the door of the local clinic. In the urban capital of Yerevan, it was rare to see more than a few people waiting to see a doctor at a time. In response to the lack of access, me and a few of my team members set up health stations in which we took patients vitals and helped educate them on what these values meant. Through this experience I learned how vital it is, as a medical professional, to be able to communicate and produce effective medical interventions, often under difficult conditions. My time in Armenia provided me with valuable insight into the workings of global medicine, and the health disparities that often have to be addressed each day.

My interest in global health has driven me to serve as one of the chairs for the Global Health Initiative for the University of Utah School of Medicine. As a leader in the Global Health Initiative it was my responsibility to lead and teach students about global health research opportunities. In addition, me and the other global health leaders had the opportunity to plan a global health conference that was organized and funded completely by students. These opportunities have allowed me to develop networking, leadership, and organizational qualities that are essential for any good physician.

In addition to my research in Armenia, a group medical students and I have been working with rural communities in Ghana, Africa to develop a project to assess childhood stunting within these communities. By developing effective community outreach, we have been able to integrate the needs of the community with our expertise and knowledge of medicine.

The difficulty of addressing personal differences is important not just for global medicine, but domestic as well. This was no more apparent than when I shadowed a local Pediatric Oncologist. In one particular instance, after discussing treatment with particularly difficult parent, this physician explained how medical knowledge and patient understanding are essential components to health care, and continue to be the skills possessed by the most effective contributors of change. Through my education in public health, and a strong background in science, I am building a foundation to better improve the quality of health care and serve as a more effective physician through increased medical knowledge and understanding.

My drive to provide better healthcare stems from empathy and concern for people in need of medical intervention. As a physician, my father combined calm, compassion, and understanding with his medical expertise into a form of healing that I have grown to admire. It was this balanced approach that initially inspired my interest in the medical field, and it is through continued education and exposure to medical field that this interest has flourished into a desire to become a physician. As an active marathon runner, I understand how preparation can help you endure a long journey, and I believe that the choices I have made lay a strong foundation for my future in medicine.

--Let me know what you think about this paper. If I am not focusing enough on the important factors of medicine or I am focusing too much on other factors, please let me know. This is still pretty rough, but I am hoping I have a general layout of what I want my SOP to say. It is still a little long though, and I feel like I ramble at times---
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

There are a few issues here. First, you mention " Although my studies during this period suffered..." I have stated this over and over; personal statements should only come from an area of strength. If I were reading your application and I saw that, the very first thing I would do is to pull up your transcript at which point I would actively look for bad grades. The down side of this is that I would already have negative thoughts in my head and would view your grades in a much more negative light. Even though you have a masters degree where your grades were solid, most Med School adcoms will pay extra attention to undergrad grades. For this very reason, you should never ever mention anything negative in your personal statement. Secondly, you have the same "Save the world" speech that 80% of other med school applicants will have. This will need to be focused if you are to have any real chance of advancing to the interview rounds.- Admissions Advice Online
OP Zakurie84 1 / 1  
Really helpful, I had a few people tell me that it would be ok to include the grades if they were addressed in letters or I expressed how I grew from that hurdle. But I think I am with you on this one. Plus there were really only 2 semesters where grades were even effected. I am definitely on the same page about the "save the world" mantra. I just got in a creative rut when I approached addressing my research. Let me run through another draft and address these issues.

On the flip side, what part of the paper did you like, or think I could salvage?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Home / Graduate / Medical School - trying to par it down