Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

'Moral responsibility' - PTCAS Admission to physical therapy school application

s0681217 1 / 1  
This is just a rough draft of my application essay to PTCAS application essay. The question was which personal characteristics and motivating factors have led you to pursue the profession of physical therapy? Although I have not yet written a conclusion I would appreciate any advice I could get.

As a young college student deliberating what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, I felt as though it was important to get the prospective of those who have walked the path before me, one of the most notable pieces of advice came from my father, when he said, "If you choose a career that you love, you never have to work a day in your life." This idea seemed foreign to me at the time, "How could you possibly love your career to that extent?" Sometime later, I began to work at a physical therapy clinic where I was able to see that a career as a physical therapist would allow me to utilize compassion to help others and inevitably never "work" a day in my life.

For as long as I can remember, I have always felt a moral responsibility to help those who are less fortunate than me. Throughout high school I was blessed with the opportunity to travel around the world to work with children from diverse cultures to develop community outreach programs that would provide them with a safe environment to interact with one another. These experiences proved to be so fulfilling, knowing that we were able to bring joy to children in an environment where they would normally be exposed to the dangers of an inner city. During my time as a physical therapist aide I regularly drew upon my inherit compassion in order to better empathize with the patients to improve their rehabilitation. Helping a mother rehabilitate her broken ankle in time to dance with her only son on his wedding day, or providing an elderly patient with an endurance and muscle strengthening routine, so that she may hike the steep roads of Italy on a family vacation, provided me with such self-satisfaction that is hard to achieve in most professions.

Over the past few years I have been extremely fortunate to have the ability to work with physical therapists that are regarded as some of the best in my area. Aside from being extraordinary therapists, they have been even better mentors, constantly pushing me to pursue my aspirations and continue to persevere. They have been instrumental in molding me into the person I am today, always driving me to be a leader, with this encouragement, I look forward to taking any challenge head on, as a full time biology student, with a heavy work load; I was able to balance my academics, multiple jobs, and numerous extracurricular activities. Being the founder and president of my universities running club has enabled me to form bonds and work closely with students, faculty, and businesses in the community, we are currently in the process of planning a 5k race on campus in order to benefit local charities and to encourage the importance of physical activity for all ages.

My passion to improve the health and physical performance of others has motivated me to become a certified personal trainer, and to volunteer with my universities sports medicine department. These experiences have allowed me to work with orthopedic physicians, physical therapists, athletic trainers, and chiropractors who all contribute diverse perspectives, yet still maintain a synergy that provides the best possible care. I gained a different form of satisfaction working in the sports medicine department and personal training, than I received in a traditional out-patient physical therapy clinic, working with clients and athletes gave me the ability to work independently and hands on with individuals as opposed to under the supervision of a licensed physical therapist. The challenge of providing care independently allows me to think critically, improvise, and to rely on my abilities to problem solve; this individual approach sparked a deeper passion for physical therapy in my life and delivered a form of mental stimulation that I craved.

More and more I am continuing to see that my loved ones are growing old, and I am faced with the realization that life is not infinite, unfortunately time take its toll on all of us and slowly but surely our bodies are not what they used to be. To see my relatives in pain is truly troubling, however what really bothers me is knowing I have the potential to provide care to those around me in order to improve their quality of life, and I am merely lacking the means. At this time with my compassion for others, my never-ending work ethic, and my passion to succeed, I feel as though I am finally ready to take that next step and come out from under the wing of those who have brought me this far, I am ready to pursue my career in physical therapy and never work again.

Home / Graduate / 'Moral responsibility' - PTCAS Admission to physical therapy school application