MY MOTIVATION LETTER FOR Msc SUSTAINABLE MANAGEMENT

demorich 1 / -  

Motivational letter

Why the gap between industry and science? What is the solution and is it sustainable? These and many more are my foundational questions as an early little academic knowledge seeker. The science world seems to be far and very different from the corporate world. At the early days of meeting with the acidic world, I so believe that closest science to the corporate world is chemistry, therefore I choose to study chemistry for my first degree. Among different options of chemistry, I opted for the industrial option with the aim of understanding the issues of industry, provide a sustainable solution and implement it. At the end of my first degree, I worked on a research titled preliminary evaluation of Afuze clay as a bleaching earth for the oil industry.

Not yet satisfied with the knowledge gained after my first degree I chose to search out for an experience in the corporate world. In search to do this, after attending some series of training and acquired some necessary knowledge, I took up a job for a year as a financial control and relationship officer of a financial bank in Nigeria, Africa. As soon as I was done with this, I got a job at NASENI (National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure) and rose to the position of a principal scientific officer in ten years. My function in the organization is that of a material scientist by developing and characterization of novel materials and with working knowledge of materials characterization techniques (e.g., Scanning Electron Microscope, Energy Dispersive X-ray Fluorimeter, X-ray Diffractometer), thermal analysis (e.g., Differential Scanning Calorimetry, Thermogravimeteric Analysis), as well as other techniques such as Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy and UV-Vis Spectroscopy. At the end of this phase of life, I discovered have had experiences in the 2 sectors but yet with a wide gap.

Then I went for a second degree in Environmental Chemistry in the best technological school in Nigeria, which gave more answers to my foundation question as the knowledge acquired during the study were close to corporate world than the scientific world. As a result of this, my colleagues and I made an international field trip to the Songhai Centre in the Republic of Benin. The Centre was recognized as a Regional Centre of Excellence for Africa by the United Nations in 2008. The Songhai Centre is a sustainable agriculture farm which practices zero waste. In other words, all its wastes produced are transformed to raw materials for another product. This trip gave me a practical outlook of a sustainable system; how to effectively manage waste and also use to improve the soil nutrient. This was more of an encourager that I was close to the answers I craved for but yet not exact. At the end of the study, I carried out an environmental research titled Assessment of remediation potential of Laportea aestuans in a mixed heavy metal polluted soil. After all these, my inquisitiveness for more knowledge and answers were still intact and fresh as ever.

My heart and understanding were elated the moment I came across the Msc course sustainability management and innovation at University of Westminster. Without hesitation, I took a detailed study into the course aim and objectives and her critical plan on the approach of knowledge transfer. It was indeed a mind blowing adventure, I knew the solution and answers to my foundation question are right there. I saw that the school is ready and aimed at making a positive difference by the analysis of sustainable issues, providing solutions and implementing them. The curriculum of the course is vast and relevant to prevalent issues of our society. Sustainability in practice, strategy for a sustainable future, sustainability analytics and reporting amongst others courses will further help and strengthen my skills and knowledge as I transition to a new career in corporate sustainability. Furthermore, the background check of the lecturers are so amazing, a practical example is Dr Martin Mathews with over 20 years' experience as a business schoolteacher.

With all of these stated above and level of pre knowledge I have acquired over the years, I have an assurance that the knowledge coupled with the industry links and professional recognition of the university, I am confident my stay in the University will be a life changing experience and will make me a positive changer and impact maker.
You can easily use this essay as a personal statement as it carries an in-depth look at the development of your interest in varied chemistry fields. These however, cannot qualify as a true motivation for the masters course in sustainability management at this university. A properly developed motivation better can be completed in as little as 5 paragraphs. Just be sure that you provide the following information:

1. Professional Inquisitiveness - based on your current job observations, why do you believe that changes need to be enacted? How? Relate that to why this course will address that need.

2. Academic Progression - Based on your previous studies, what previous courses did you complete that fiust exposed you to sustainability management? How did these influence your early interest? Could you say it also motivated this career path, interest based on your professional needs? How did it apply?

3. University Choice ~ What did you consider while comparing universities ? Based on your learning and future career needs, how will the university address these specifics ?

4. What motivated your desire to study overseas?

These are the most important motivational considerations that you should reflect in the letter. I am not sure if there are any for this letter as required by the university so I am asking you to focus on the important general discussion points instead.

Home / Graduate / MY MOTIVATION LETTER FOR Msc SUSTAINABLE MANAGEMENT