Home / Letters   % width Posts: 4

LETTER OF MOTIVATION FOR MASTERS IN SUSTAINABLE FOREST AND NATURE MANAGEMENT

EmDee 1 / 1  
Please I need insights on my letter.

The letter prompts are:

Your letter of motivation must be of approximately 500 words, and contain:

*An explanation of why you are applying for admission to the Erasmus Mundus Joint Master's programme in Sustainable Forest and Nature Management (SUFONAMA)
*An explanation of why you have prioritised the chosen mobility track(s).

You may also elaborate on your planned career path upon completion of the Masters' programme.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir/Madam,
Subject: Application for the Erasmus Mundus Joint Master's programme in Sustainable Forest and Nature Management

Forests are gifts of nature; it is our responsibility to care for nature, and our actions should be sustainable.

According to FAO, the carbon stocks in forest biomass have decreased by almost 6 gigatonnes over the past 30 years. In Nigeria and other developing countries, where agriculture serves as the backbone of the economy, the conversion of forests to arable land poses a significant threat to environmental sustainability. Affecting the ability of forests to provide ecosystem services, especially as carbon sinks, impacting both ecological health and community well-being. This presents a dilemma between forest conservation and agricultural development, which are key to sustainability. In pursuit of a master's degree in Sustainable Forest and Nature Management, I believe I will be equipped with the skills and tools to bring about sustainable land management in my country and beyond through high-quality research and outreach.

My interest in sustainable management sparked during an international mobility programme in Spain. This experience directed my attention towards the UNs' Sustainable Development Goals and highlighted the crucial role forests play in addressing global challenges such as climate change. Engaging in courses on biodiversity, conservation, and improving forest resources served as a foundation for the practical skills I gained in using forest monitoring software (QGIS and G-Earthpro) to develop management strategies to promote forest biodiversity.

My commitment further manifested in my bachelor's thesis, "The Effects of Climate Change on Solanum melongena Production," which informs farmers' use of forests as an adaptation strategy for climate-smart agriculture. To deepen my knowledge, I completed MOOCs on climate-smart forestry and circular economy. Through these courses, I learned how to conduct impact assessments and design circular business models that meet sustainability standards. In my desire to make an impact, I volunteered at ---- and ----, honing problem-solving and communication skills. As ------ student leader, I collaborated with experts to create a course that builds the capacity of students to identify local environmental challenges and devise nature-based solutions.

The ------- mobility track interests me because it complements my interdisciplinary background in forestry and agriculture. The unique curriculum offered in this track fills the gap in my knowledge on planning to address real-world conservation challenges. Furthermore, the fieldwork and the course on "Agriculture and the environment" at ------ University stand out as invaluable opportunities to meld theoretical insights with hands-on skills, setting the stage for my intended master's dissertation, titled "Sustainable Agroforestry Practices for Improved Rural Livelihood." Looking ahead, I plan on pursuing a Ph.D. centered on Sustainable Land Use systems and Agroforestry. I am aware that this is a particular area of expertise for Prof. ------ at ----- University. The prospect of working under his esteemed supervision fills me with great anticipation and enthusiasm. Through this academic pursuit, I hope to reform land use systems, especially in Africa.

Thank you for considering my application. I look forward to joining this programme and contributing my skills as a valuable team member.

Sincerely,

--Name---
Do not open the letter by citing information from other sources. The reviewers will be more appreciative if you open with a clearly defined in-country reason for your motivation. What you have seen, understood, and how you hope to solve the situation would work very well as an introduction.

Rather than placing the UN goals in the middle of the presentation, you should focus on making that the basis of your motivation. What is the SDGP goal for Nigeria in relation to your sector? Discuss it. Make it clear that you would like to help achieve that goal. Right now, it sounds like to want to meet goals for Spain rather than your country.
sankook 4 / 8 2  
plan

Hello, You wrote a good essay but it seems something is missing in your essay. Its motivational letter should answer why you chose this program, what you learned or experienced what you will contribute to society, and how this program will help you. This is what every university and program asks for. In my opinion, you answered why this major and what you gained explained a bit but you need to be more specific and tell them what your plans are also try to give some details about your thesis and also tell them why they should choose you and how their program will help you to achieve your goals. I know you have word limits but try to answer these questions and make it concise because the motivation letter tells about you so try to write according to it. Again I am not a professional but I just shared what I have experienced.
OP EmDee 1 / 1  
@sankook
Thank you so much, I appreciate your honest review.
I know all this, but the word limit restricts me. Going beyond it by being very detailed will only be detrimental to my application.

Home / Letters / LETTER OF MOTIVATION FOR MASTERS IN SUSTAINABLE FOREST AND NATURE MANAGEMENT