Motivational letter - Cognitive and Molecular Neuroscience

Rose_odm 1 / 1  
Hello evertbody, I'm applying to some PhD programs and I hope someone can help me with the correction of this motivation letter. Thank you so much in advance.

"Dear professor XX,
I am excited to apply for the XX program 'XXX' at the Department of XX at the XX.
I graduated last year from University of XX with a Bachelor's degree in Biology, and I am currently pursuing a Master's degree in Neurosciences in the same University, with expected graduation in July 2014.

Though I have always been interested in molecular biology at any level, during my last year as an undergraduate student I developed a fascination with Cognitive and Molecular Neuroscience, especially in the context of the study of neurodegenerative diseases.

My course in Neurobiology as well as my practical works led me to go in-depth into this topic through literature, and finally to address my current Master's supervisor, at the Department of Cellular Biology in University of XX.

As you will see from my CV, my Master's thesis focuses on changes in key components of the regulated secretory pathway in Alzheimer's disease, and I am particularly interested in changes in protein expression in both astrocytes and neurons. This experience has aroused my interest in understanding the role of glial cells in AD, and has provide me with extensive knowledge of methods, procedures and techniques that are commonly used in the field of neuroscience research, such as ELISA, Western Blotting, immunohistrochemistry and cell cultures. Therefore, my academic qualifications and laboratory training have provide me with many personal and professional skills. I am sure these solid base will permit me getting along within any laboratory work. Furthermore, my successful experience in working abroad to perform my Bachelor's thesis makes me feel confident of being a rapidly adaptive and autonomous person.

After completing my PhD I hope to continue working as a researcher in the neuroscience field. I also consider the option of having a paralell teaching career in the future, because I find the idea of sharing knowledge with other people extremely fulfilling.

I have read some of your publicatons, and I believe that my research interests fit very well in your group, since you are currently studying deficits in secretion of glial-derived factors and their implications in synaptic function in Alzheimer's disease.

Therefore, giving our apparent research interests in common, I believe that having the opportunty of being in your research group will give me the opportunity of developing a project that continues my current interests.

I strongly believe that both my academic qualifications and laboratory experience in the neuroscience field, joint to my enthusiasm, commitment and perseverance will allow me to fit perfectly in your group. Moreover, my fascination with the role of glia in neurodegenerative diseases will let me to contribute maximally in your group and guarantees that I will be extremelly concerned in the project.

In conclusion, I find this a unique opportunity of working in the field I am passionate about, and I only understand this by being an enthusiastic, constant and extremely dedicated person.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing about this great opportunity.

Yours sincerely,
XX XX"
nivinjj 1 / 3  
Quote his publications and what aspect of these publications sparked interest in you to approach him.
OP Rose_odm 1 / 1  
Thank you for your quick reply, I will do it! Would you mind correcting my grammar mistakes? English is not my native language!
Thank you again =)
As you will see from my CV, my Master's thesis focuses on changes in key components of the regulated secretory pathway in Alzheimer's disease, and I am particularly interested in changes in protein expression in both astrocytes and neurons

My thesis focuses on changes in key components of the regulated secretory pathway in Alzheimer's disease, and I am particularly interested in changes in protein expression in both astrocytes and neurons.

and I believe that my research interests fit very well inwith those of your group

Home / Graduate / Motivational letter - Cognitive and Molecular Neuroscience