"Mr. Mountain's classroom" - someone who has made an impact on your life

slurpee777 1 / 1  
Writing this essay to apply for school, any help and criticism would be greatly appreciated

In life you sometimes come across a person who completely changes your outlook on life. I met this person in highschool and although he constantly preaced about being humble and modest, this man also taught me to pursue the finer things in life. He was the closest thing I've ever had to a mentor, and a powerful teacher. His name is Blaine Mountain.

I didn't always have a close relationship with Mr. Mountain, in fact I've never been an actual student in his class before. I had a class called "Ready, Set, Teach!" for first and second period, and in this class each of us students were assigned to another teacher in the school to become their in-class assitant and observe the host teacher's style of teaching. Even though I was assigned to assist Mr. Mountain, he never saw that as my role. Instead he treated me more like a personal pupil than an assistant.

While under Mr. Mountain I learned a lot of things about myself that I had never known before. Even when a student was clearly wrong and being a nuisance in his classroom, he didn't just send the student outside to sit in the hall. He gave an effort to reason with the student, and talk things out. It was an act that was so humane and different compared to what I was accustomed to in an average public high school atmosphere. Like Mr. Miagi in "Karate Kid", Mr. Mountain really did teach me to handle making rash decisions in a calm matter.

I remember an instance in Mr. Mountain's classroom where he had a box of cupcakes, that was a bit larger than your average box of cupcakes. Blaine noticed me, noticing the box, grabbed it and opened it up to offer one extremely large, scrumptious looking cupcake. "These are 'Sprinkles' cupcakes." He said. I took a bite into the moist baked treat, which by far was the most superb cupcake i've ever indulged in. Mr. Mountain then went on and on about how he waited in line for these cup cakes for an hour and a half, at a bakery named "Sprinkles" because the over-priced cupcakes had such praised reviews. While we shared this cupcake treat together, I asked my teacher why a man like himself would wait a couple hours just for some cupcakes. His response was so nonchalent it shocked me a bit. He said "You only live once, so why settle for less?". His casual, effortless answer only made it obvious to me that he was completely about the finer things in life. I took this trait upon myself to never settle for less, and to always strive myself to achieve the greater things in life, whether it's cupcakes or something more significant. It's a trait I learned from Mr. Mountain that I feel defines me and my ambitions as a person.

When I left MacArthur Highschool and Mr. Mountain, it was like I left my second home and my second father. Although i've occasionally spoke to Mr. Mountain since I left, our relationship has never been the same. I lost both a great friend, and a beloved mentor. He prepared me to be ready and confident for any situation I may encounter for my adventure in life. For that I am forever grateful.

.
I met this person in highschool and although he constantly preached about being humble and modest, this man also taught me to pursue the finer things in life.

I didn't always have a close relationship with Mr. Mountain, in fact I've never been an actual student in his class before.
It was an act that was so humane and different compared to what I was accustomed to in an average public high school atmosphere. Like Mr. Miagi in "Karate Kid", Mr. Mountain really did teach me to handle making rash decisions in a calm matter. :) ...awesome...

While we shared this cupcake treat together, I asked my teacher why a man like himself would wait a couple hours just for some cupcakes.

His response was so nonchalant (spelling)

I lost PARTED WAYS WITH both a great friend, and a beloved mentor.
chalumeau /  
I enjoyed reading the essay. Here's some corrections.
Let me know what you think.

OP slurpee777 1 / 1  
Thanks so much for the help, words can not explain how helpful you guys have been!

Home / Graduate / "Mr. Mountain's classroom" - someone who has made an impact on your life