'a natural match for my personality and lifestyle' - PTCAS Essay

dillonb31r919 1 / -  
Hi everyone! This is my essay for PTCAS, any help is appreciated!
What personal characteristics and motivating factors have led you to pursue the profession of physical therapy?

I have always loved being active. Lifting weights was a hobby of mine since my early teens. I loved everything about weight lifting; the struggle of lifting, overcoming and completing repetitions, the progression, and seeing the effects in strength and muscle size. However working out was always just a hobby until I joined the Army. The Army trains soldiers to be well rounded athletes, capable of muscular strength and endurance, cardiorespiratory fitness, flexibility, and body composition. Learning about all the components inspired me to become even more fit and learn even more about healthy living. I learned about nutrition, training, exercises, and injuries. When I got out of the Army I knew I wanted to do something that had to do with exercise but I was not sure what.

Injuring my shoulder was a major turning point in my life. It was also the worst and best thing that ever happened to me. It was the worst because it was an abrupt lifestyle change. I went from lifting heavy weights every day to never being able to lift heavy weights again. That wasn't easy. However it was the best thing because for the first time in my life I was introduced to physical therapy. I remember my evaluation well, the physical therapist at the VA hospital check my range of motion, strength, and pain levels. The ER doctor had diagnosed me as a minor rotator cuff tear, but my physical therapist disagreed and sent me in for an MRI to find out later it was a labrum tear. I was amazed by the skill and knowledge of my physical therapist. I was also fascinated with the field of physical therapy, using exercise, something I was extremely familiar with and interested in, to help people alleviate pain and regain function.

With a new outlook and a direction I began looking further into physical therapy. I changed my undergraduate major, and volunteered at the physical therapy clinic at the VA hospital. I was hooked, the more I learned about the human body, the more I was able to apply it, was the more I knew that I would be a physical therapist one day. I always knew I would end up in the service industry; I grew up idolizing firefighters, police officers, and military. After graduating high school I enlisted in the Army and served the past 8 years, the first 4 active duty. Physical therapy is not only the focus of my aspirations for the past 4 years, but a natural match for my personality and lifestyle.
Lifting weights has been a hobby of mine since my early teens.

Learning about all these components has inspired me to become even more fit and to learn even more about healthy living.

However, it was the best thing because for the first time in my life I was introduced to physical therapy.

I remember my evaluation well, the physical therapist at the VA hospital checked my range of motion, strength, and pain levels.

The ER doctor had diagnosed me as having a minor rotator cuff tear, but my physical therapist disagreed and sent me in for an MRI to find out later it was a labrum tear.

With a new outlook and a direction I began looking further into physical therapy.

This is a great essay! Good luck in school and have fun!

:)

Home / Graduate / 'a natural match for my personality and lifestyle' - PTCAS Essay