'Physics and mathematics' my SOP for admission

jesmamohan 1 / 1  
Physics and mathematics are the two pedestals for the man made world around us. My interest in these subjects started since I was thirteen. Early on I was fascinated by theoretical physics, wondered about the world around me and I was determined to become a physicist. I had no actual idea what that meant, but it seemed extremely exciting to spend my life attempting to discover the secrets of the universe. Later on, in one of my physics classes, I was introduced to a chapter on Electronic and semiconductors and I was perplexed. It changed my whole perspective of the instruments I saw around me- what does flipping switches actually do? I found myself investigating the circuits of various gadgets I could afford to open. I realized that while Science is fascinating for its fact, it is Engineering that allows one to apply the concepts of Science and maneuver the world around him. Immediately, I knew I wanted to be an Engineer.

Time came when I had to choose a particular field in Engineering and I looked no further than Electronics and Communication Engineering. It is something about the circuits and the fact that they are present inside almost everything we use in our day to day life intrigued me. I spend long hours in labs trying to figure out the mysteries of instruments by myself. I was enjoying every bit of my courses and before I knew it, I was awarded my bachelors in engineering with a first class. I had also received several acknowledgments from various professors during my course. One of such moments was when I participated in a "Recycle Exhibition and symposium" in my District. I opened up a broken clock, and few other trash items to design a burglar Alarm. My Head of the department was very pleased with the way it worked and he recognized me in one of his seminars.

One another proud moment apart from graduating was, when I presented my final year research to my research committee. For my research, I chose a topic in digital image processing called "De-noising using spatial filters". The project focused on reducing the noises of communication in order to deliver a clear signal to the receiver. Most of the research done in this area used PSNR (Peak signal to Noise rate) of 31.000 but in my research, I used 32.000 using the spatial filter. This research needed me to use MATLAB software to automate the process and design Graphic User Interface. I took pride in the work I did and I felt a sense of accomplishment when my committee members congratulated me on my efforts.

Time has come again to make decisions on my future. This time I no longer wonder about the world around me but I see the problems and I want to take charge as an Engineer. I see there are power blackouts without warning in my country. Not just the computers, but Life itself gets shut down for three to four hours every day. I know it is my responsibility to do something about it and I also know I need to equip myself further in order to assist in solving the problem. Thus, I want to do my masters in Electrical Engineering specializing in Power systems and control systems engineering

I have looked into the curriculum at XXX and was pleased to see that you not only offer a major in the field of my interest but also have a lab specializing in the power systems. I am confident of my technical and comprehensive abilities and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to be considered for the Master of Science program in your reputed university. If accepted, I would like to be a part of the advanced power and electricity research center at XXX and contribute to the good cause of power management.
kenyaboyfresh 7 / 17  
Sorry I couldn't help with the whole essay, but I worked on your introduction.
Green=changes
Red=needs revision
Blue=my thoughts

Physics and mathematics are the two pedestals for the man made world around us. My interest in these subjects started when I was thirteen. Early on I was fascinated by theoretical physics, wondered about the world around me and I was determined to become a physicist....this sentence sounds awkward ... I had no actual idea what that meant, but it seemed extremely exciting to spend my life attempting to discover the secrets of the universe.This sentence doesnt make sense.Later on, in one of my physics classes, I was introduced to a chapter on Electronic and semiconductors and I was perplexed.This sentence sounds awkward, try re-wording it to:"Later on, in one of my physics classes, I was perplexed by a chapter on Electronic and Semiconductors."It changed my whole perspective of the instruments I saw around me- what does flipping switches actually do?consider re-writing this part. I found myself investigating the circuits of various gadgets I could afford to open. I realized that while Science is fascinating for its fact , it is Engineering that allows one to apply the concepts of ScienceScientific conceptsand maneuver the world around him .Immediately, I knew I wanted to be an Engineer.This is when I decided to become an Engineer.
OP jesmamohan 1 / 1  
Thank you so much! really appreciate it

Home / Graduate / 'Physics and mathematics' my SOP for admission