Professionalism as a DPT student. Physical Therapy Application Essay

john3396 1 / -  
The question is "What is professionalism in the context of being a student in a doctor of physical therapist degree program?" I would appreciate any and all feedback in helping me revise my essay. Thanks!!

physical therapist degree program and professionalism

There is much more to being a student than solely studying. Throughout my undergraduate career, I have had the pleasure of shadowing multiple physical therapists that embodied professionalism in the workplace. The major aspects of my experiences that stood out to me were the way the therapists treated their patients and coworkers while performing their job with passion and enthusiasm. Through these experiences I formed my own concept of professionalism not only as a physical therapist, but as a student as well. I believe that professionalism as a DPT student helps to become the best possible physical therapist.

I believe that the first and foremost pillar of professionalism as a DPT student is communication. Communication with other therapists and patients is important in ensuring that patients are provided with the best care. The ability to communicate also develops a good patient relationship. I have had to learn the art of communication at my various retail jobs in order to build a good relationship with our customers. I have found that customers, like patients, feel more cared for and important when you take the time to communicate with them. I had the privilege of observing Dr. Benjamin Holzmann at a local outpatient clinic during my undergraduate studies. Dr. Holzmann has an amazing way with people. He is a master of communication, and it shows through his relationship with his patients. It was clear that he put communication and patient care at the forefront of his job, a quality that I continue to strive for as an employee and a student.

The second pillar of professionalism that I believe to be most important is accountability. Part of being in a DPT program involves recognizing that you are accountable for your own education. Not everyone learns at the same pace or in the same manner. Professors have many students and programs are often so fast paced that there is no way for them to ensure that each and every student has a thorough understanding of every topic. As a student, you must be accountable and communicate with professors and peers about your own shortcomings. As a student, asking for help is not a sign of weakness, but rather a sign of strength and maturity. There have been many times throughout my undergraduate career where I have not performed as well as I would like on an exam or a quiz. After those shortcomings, I could have simply accepted the grade and deemed the class as "impossible," or I could have chosen to ask for help to perform better in the future. I chose to attend office hours for professors and TA's, went to the student-learning center, and asked classmates for help until I finally was able to reach my goal. As a student in a DPT program, I would apply the same practices in order to ensure that I make the most of my education and become the best physical therapist possible.

Maturity is the third and final pillar of professionalism that I believe is most important as a DPT student. DPT programs are typically rigorous and can be stressful. A DPT student must have the maturity to balance personal wellness with their responsibilities as a student. I have always been a master at juggling my passion of fitness and nutrition with my responsibilities of work and school. Many students struggle with this realization, but I have always had a strong internal drive to do well in every aspect of my life-whether it be school, work, or extracurriculars. It also takes true maturity to acknowledge and ask for help when you need help as a student. DPT students are future practicing therapists and are expected to have extensive knowledge of the practice. This knowledge begins as a student, and in a DPT program students need to be mature enough to be accountable and communicate with professors to ensure that they truly understand the material.

Excellent physical therapists begin as excellent students. I believe that excellent students demonstrate multiple characteristics of professionalism throughout their academic career, including communication, accountability, and maturity. Even at a young age I had solid grasp on these three characteristics. I have always had a strong internal drive. Through being a student, an employee, a volunteer, I have been able to better myself professionally and personally. I hope to continue to build on my experiences as a professional and better myself as a student, and in the future, a physical therapist.
Alyssag1 - / 3 2  
Great essay. You gave great examples and clear examples of why you thought these qualities were important in the field of physical therapy. You also did a really good job of stating how these qualities are important to have while treating patients in order to provide the best care and also explained how you have demonstrated these qualities as a student. Overall the essay was detailed, clear and free flowing. You targeted important qualities all health care providers should demonstrate.

I would also expand upon the characteristics. Think about the qualities a health care professional must embody. Communication skills as you discussed are very crucial, however other characteristics such as empathy, enthusiasm and being approachable, etc. Many people have good communication skills and can articulate their thoughts, however it is a different skill to be able to break down a complex diagnosis or surgery and explain it in a clear and understandable language to a person who has no medical background. Maybe you can build upon the example you mentioned: "I have had to learn the art of communication (....) time to communicate with them." Instead of just mentioning an example of when you communicated with people, maybe provide and example of a time you educated a person and helped them to better understand a topic and how they responded to the situation.
Alexandra, reader fatigue has a tendency to set in while reading your essay due to the redundant use of the term "I believe". The reader already knows that this paper is all about your belief in the requirements of professionalism as a student in this field. There is no need for the constant reminder. Just create a free flowing discussion, the reader already knows whose opinion is being represented here. As for the names that you mention in your essay, please make sure that you have the permission of these doctors to mention their names as there is a high tendency for the university to confirm your work with them through a phone interview. If you do not have their permission to use their names, then revise the essay to focus on the activity and your observations, sans any names being mentioned. That is because the authenticity of your claims will need to be verified by the university once you mention specific professional names. The essay that you developed shows off your personal. professional skills that you have managed to develop and improve over time. Since this preliminary interview is looking for your personal "professional code of ethics and professionalism", then your discussion is exactly what the reviewer needs in order to consider your application. Good job on that part. Just pay attention to the slight editing issues and your essay should be good to go by the end of it.

Home / Graduate / Professionalism as a DPT student. Physical Therapy Application Essay