"program of Chinese Linguistics and Language Acquisition" - personal statement

whitney 21 / 38  
To whom it may concern:

I develop my ambition to become a teacher when my English teacher had a sore throat, and she always chose me to give lecture to the class. At the very beginning, I was extremely nervous but then I got used to it and began to love to be a teacher. Besides, the appreciation of teachers and classmates deepened my confidence that I could become an excellent teacher. Thus, I major in the teaching of Chinese as a foreign language as an undergraduate and decide to further it in graduate school.

I started to consider going to graduate school in your university because of a lecture I once had. When I was in undergraduate Grade Two , a post-doctoral studying in the Chinese Paleography in your university came to my university to give lecture and he talked something about your university. He praised your university to do everything for students and staff's development. He said in mainland China it is very difficult to read some valuable books, but in your university people can use library books freely, and he have borrowed a book from the library for a very long time but no people ask him to return. Besides, studying in Hong Kong may provide me chances to get touch to foreigners. Because the most common problem Chinese teacher may encounter with foreign students is cultural misunderstanding. Even tough I have learned courses of Western Civilization and Western Etiquette, and knowledge of cross-cultural communication in the course of General Theory of Chinese Teaching to Foreigners. I think experience is most important and necessary.

But your program of Chinese Linguistics and Language Acquisition makes me finally decide to apply for your university. I have three reasons for wanting to be admitted to the graduate program at your university:

First, I believe that I may be good at your program because I have relating study and experience to the courses you offer. Firstly, my undergraduate courses relating to some of your courses like Phonetics and Phonology, Topics in Second Language Acquisition, Topics in Bilingualism, Topics in Chinese Phonetics and Phonology, Topics in Chinese Syntax and Semantics, and Teaching Chinese as a Second Language. Secondly, I have done two linguistics researches in undergraduate courses of Contemporary Chinese and the Introduction to Linguistics, which may prepare me to have your courses of Linguistics Research. Also, because in Applied Linguistics and the Selected Reading of Ancient Chinese Essays courses I have ever given classes, I think I have some experience to have Field Practicum in your program.

Second, your courses may deepen the knowledge I have gained as an undergraduate. I have studied something about the acquisition of first language in the course of General Theory of Chinese Teaching to Foreigners and the Acquisition of Second Language, but the knowledg is very limited and is only to compare with the acquisition of second language. Thus, I need your course of Foundations in Language Acquisition to learn the acquisition of first language specifically. Besides, as an undergraduate I have had a lecture focusing on linguistics research and have done two linguistics researches but your courses will help me to master the methodologies for research in linguistics.

Third, I have a research proposal for your course of Research Project. I plan to collect Cantonese vocabulary that used in Putonghua also and Putonghua learners in Hong Kong can just use these words directly in Putonghua only by transforming the pronunciation. Surly, your institution's position in Hong Kong may give me a favor to do it. And I will attach my research proposal to my file because I can hardly give a specific introduction of it here.

Thank you for your consideration.
To whom it may concern:

In a formal letter, you are supposed to capitalize every word of the opening salutation:

To Whom It May Concern:

Give the reader only as much info as she needs. Keep it interesting by not giving all the info, not giving all the words:
I developed my ambition to become a teacher when I was in junior high school. Because my English teacher at that time had a sore throat. she always chose ...

I started to consider going to graduate school in your university because of a lecture I ever once had.

Capitalize china Chine

Great job, Yang Na! You set a great example with this essay, and I think it will benefit all people who read it. Good luck in your studies! :-)
Use the past tense of the verb:
I developed my ambition ...

Be careful here: Even tough

First, I believe that I may be good at your program because I have relating study and experience to the courses you offer. Firstly My undergraduate courses ...

...relate to some of ...

Another typo: ...but the knowledg is ...

:-)

Home / Graduate / "program of Chinese Linguistics and Language Acquisition" - personal statement