SACRED HEART SUPPLEMENTAL ESSAY FOR DPT PROGRAM

Stasiam 4 / 7  
Please identify a project you completed that you believe required the most independent learning on your part. The project does not have to be something you did as part of schooling. Briefly describe what the project involved. Identify why you considered the experience to have been "independent" learning. Identify whether you consider the experience to have been successful, including why. Identify one way in which you would change the experience if you had it to do again that would make it an even better (or more positive) learning experience.

During one of my summer vacations I had the opportunity to volunteer at a local Nursing Home's therapeutic activities department. At that time they were looking for a "wheel chair" workout instructor to lead the residents once a week. I have taught elderly workouts before but never something quite like this. My first day there they told me to just follow the instructional tape they had and repeat the moves for the residents. I was definitely boring these people. It was bad enough they were stuck in a wheel chair but now they were doing this monotonous workout. After my first class I asked the director if I could create my own workout and teach it to the class, she gave me the go ahead. That night I went searching for "wheel chair" workouts. Each one was as boring as the first, I was stuck, how was I going to make this up? I have never been in a wheel chair before. I then went through all my fitness magazines and every fitness website I could think of. I picked 10-20 basic strengthening moves that I would probably do in the gym and just did them all sitting down. To get their heart rates up I added some seated cardio moves, like punching and seated kicking. I even had a little seated kickboxing routine made. I then added some fun props; we had balls that we would throw around to each other and wands to use in place in weights. I even found some fun "oldies" music to play during our workouts. The residents loved the new workout and loved that I was always changing it up and tweaking it every week. What I have learned from this experience is that exercise can be boring, but with the right amount creativity and tools it can be made into a fun and entertaining time.
I had taught elderly workouts before, but never anything quite like this.

On my first day there, they told me to just follow the instructional tape they had and repeat the moves for the residents.

It was bad enough they were stuck in a wheel chairs but now they were doing this monotonous workout.

After my first class I asked the director if I could create my own workout and teach it to the class, and she gave me the go ahead.

That night I went searching for "wheel chair" workouts. Each one was as boring as the first, and I wondered how I was stuck,I was going to make this up?

Your essay is well thought out and interesting! Good luck in school and have fun!

:)

Home / Graduate / SACRED HEART SUPPLEMENTAL ESSAY FOR DPT PROGRAM