SOP for Ph.D. degree in chemistry; 'born in an educated Korean family'

alsdn1440 1 / 1  
Hello,
I 'm really glad to post my SOP for Ph.D. degree in the forum ~
Please give me any comments about my SOP and some advice how can I improve my SOP.
I think it is a little bit long or redundant... pleas help to make it more clear and appealing to supervisors!
Thank you all~!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----- ----------------------------------------------------------------- ----- --------------------------
Throughout my life, I have learned that the ultimate happiness is obtained not only by hard work and intelligence, but also by unlimited passion in pursuing my own dreams. It is my ongoing desire for learning, invention, and teaching that lead me to continue my educational career towards a Ph.D. degree.

I was born in an educated Korean family with strong social values of hard work. During my childhood, my parents always encouraged me to study hard and keep my mind disengaged from the existing adversities. In my opinion, having a solid knowledge of fundamentals is crucial to elaborate profound ideas. As a result, I tried hard to build a strong base in chemistry during high school years. During my middle and high school, I joined several chemistry-related clubs as well as chemistry classes and got many opportunities to learn principles of diverse analytic methods and experiments which were rarely exposed to high school students. For one thing, I presented my idea and honored as "a brilliant idea" in 1st Chemistry Frontier Festival sponsored by Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (MEST) in 2005.

The tremendous numbers of challenges thrown out by rapid development in science have made me choose chemistry as a field of study. My formal advanced education started with undergraduate program in chemistry at the University of Chung-Ang. In my undergraduate years, I have acquired a strong fundamental of basic chemical subjects like organic, inorganic mechanisms and analytical principles. During my four successive years of studies, I was ranked fairly high and received scholarship for four years from the school and professor's association of chemistry department. Regarding this achievement, I was honored by the president of graduate association on the recommendation of the dean of University of Chung-Ang at that time. As is often said, the journey of exploring the realm of knowledge and probing into the unknown is infinite and strenuous. However, to me, the desire to fulfill ambitions and the joy from discoveries prevailed over any sense of hardship. My undergraduate program was as rewarding as it was joyful.

During two months of winter internship in biochemistry laboratory of Seoul National University, I acquainted with the chemical reaction in our body, especially in protein. As a student-research intern, I elucidated the key mechanism and important active sites of Glutathione S-Transferase (GST), and also provided promising possibility of its mechanism for use in protein purification which can separate selectively modified proteins from others. At the end of the program, I was honored with results of my research by the dean of Seoul National University at that time.

Subsequent to my undergraduate program, I undertook a Master's program at Department of Chemistry, University of Korea Advanced Institution of Science and Technology (KAIST) and with it I delved deeper into the fascinating world of chemistry and performed some research. Considering the fact that polymer is the most fundamental materials in diverse fields of industry and the importance of increasing green-chemistry, I chose to concentrate on the synthesis of well-controllable and biocompatible block copolymer. My master's degree thesis title was "the Synthesis and characterization of dopamine-introduced PEO-diblock copolymer via Radical Addition Fragmentation Transfer polymerization (RAFT)" under supervision of Professor Sang-Youl Kim. The main purpose of this dissertation was developing a novel type of dopamine-introduced PEO block copolymer and characterizing unique properties deprived from dopamine moiety and the structure of synthesized polymer. I am most proud of the fact that my presented synthetic polymer is a new type of PEO polymer which shows anti-fouling and biocompatibility and also adheres to many diverse substrates. Also, due to its diblock structure, it can capture metal ions by forming micelle-like structure showing great potential for drug-delivery, chemo-sensor and heavy metal cleaner. I presented a foster on this subject at 2012 Fall Conference of the polymer society of Korea and further investigations for this research are working on for publication in journal.

Inspiration and enthusiasm well up in me when I was at work. I gained professional experience by working for Samsung electronics internship program at Samsung Semiconductor R&D center in Jan, 2012. During this period I become completely familiar with semiconductor production process by participating in developing new process at CNP (cleaning and polishing) department. The project I devoted to is reducing risks of galvanic corrosion caused by different kinds of metal components in semiconductor and their electrical potential differences between themselves. To solve the problem, I proposed appropriate solvents, which functions as a electron transfer inhibitor or electron scavenger, results in prevention electron transfer between metals. This was based on the fundamental chemical knowledge of oxidation-reduction reaction between two materials. Also during that time I realized that there is serious lack of resources specialized in fundamental science, which can be a barrier for advanced development in the future. Having real work experiences, now I have a balanced view of my interests, potential contributions and priorities, which enables me to make a decision between pursuing a career in academia or one in the industry. I find the academic environment more appealing because of the high level of intellectual challenge and creativity with it as well as the opportunity if provides to follow my research interests in the field of chemistry.

I plan to continue my education to Ph.D. level in an internationally reputable and high-ranking research university. In order to find the appropriate graduate program which can fulfill my educational goals and best match my research interests, I have perused different sources, and I have found the Ph.D. program at University of xxxx and Prof. xxxx's research group well suited to my interests. I have full confidence that my diligence, dedication, and genuine interest in learning coupled with the exceptional guidance I can receive in University of xxxx will allow me to contribute to my fields of interest. I would greatly enjoy and appreciate the opportunity to do so at your institution.
anuraag0808 1 / 3  
This is good, but pay attention to the following as well;
The admission committee forms their first impression about you by reading your SOP. Therefore, you need to display a little bit of creative talents there for them to remember you out of hundreds of applicants. You need to show them you are a right type of student for their college. So tell them how you developed your passion for this field and how much you are attached to it. How you can contribute to their student community, etc.etc.
OP alsdn1440 1 / 1  
Thank you for advice, anuraag008.
I will revise my sop based on your recommend!!!
For displaying my talent and interest, I will represent my personal experience during my high school or earlier times in my life.
After improving my SOP, I will post again and please check my SOP~

Thank you, it will be greap help for me!

Home / Graduate / SOP for Ph.D. degree in chemistry; 'born in an educated Korean family'