SOP - MFA, graduate student - "Oh, not again!"

misalike 2 / 1  
Please review my SOP, as I was advised, I created new essay, hopefully more specific and interesting ,
Please help, grammar and structure in overall.
Thanks!!

I want to be a better writer and help other people just like me some time later.
Again thanks very much for your kind help Kevin!

"Oh, not again!" I was standing at the next station from where I was supposed to step off. I couldn't count how many times I missed my stops on the subway. The station looked so indistinguishable; I wasn't able to tell the difference but for the sign that said it was another station. The more I got lost, the more I wondered why they are so identical no matter where they were and who built those signs and symbols. Upon leaving my country in 1996, I mislaid those curiosities on streets.

While I still often drove myself into fallacious roads by misunderstanding of baffled road signs, I graduated from ( ) with BA degree in 2001; Major in Studio Art (Graphic Design) and Minor in History of Art. Studying design and its history was very fascinating and I found myself became very serious. However, no one can predict the future, and that includes me. As an international student, I had hard time paying off the tuition since my country started to struggle in economic crisis, either my family did. I started finding more part-time jobs and I couldn't focus on my study. The only matter was if I was able to graduate from the school. And, finally I did graduate, with less-than-thrilling final average of (), and with regrets.

I left my regrets behind, and moved to ( ). I soon acquired a job in a small design agency where I had understanding of how visual communication worked in diverse cultural settings. During the next four years, I worked at a daily newspaper company, and I shortly discovered myself in another discipline of design, advertising. Under supervision of, ( ) who was my supervisor, very accurate and responsible designer, and strongly influential, I participated in book publishing projects several times in years. In addition, she saw my passion for teaching computer application skills, and she recommended me to be a part-time graphic design instructor at the community educational center. Teaching other people has taught me a lot, just like what Stefan Sagmeister recently said in his book; helping other people helps me. I would be willing to relinquish my weekends and weekday nights for my passion in teaching which led me to be an English instructor in my country recently. Moreover, in my free time, I worked as a freelance graphic designer for a tabloid monthly magazine in ( ) for two years, which gave me a great deal of strengths on designing editorials.

Even with these valuable experiences, however, I came to perceive me being in hollow. I might have been manipulating tedious designing techniques and skills, yet without considering of what my final destination would be. I felt I was standing at an unfamiliar station just like the time I was in my country. I decided to resign from the work to scrutinize what kind of person I wanted to be, what kind of designer I wanted to be. I knew my original destination has been residing in myself from the moment I started to have curiosities on that streets, which I put behind a long time ago, now became to my terminus. If I can be a contribution as a graphic designer in a society, why couldn't I be the designer who creates thoughtful information for public?

Finally, my perception brought me to the next step: advanced studies in graphic design. Visual art can be communicated even with illiteracy and ignorance. It could have unlimited power toward social change with the collaboration of many other fields such as biological science, agriculture,politics, and ecological, sustainable issues recently. I believe, in terms of developing positive social evolution, designers should not only produce design, but also be responsible for their results. With this view, visual art in public should be intended with more concerns; therefore, I would like to examine more visual communications for public. In particular, I expect to hear more about environmental and wayfinding graphic design from Professor ( ), multicultural communication and information design from Professor ( ).

As a graduate student, I hope to interact with many other students and faculties even in other programs, and experiment a social role of a designer by participating in student organizations, working for community projects, being in seminars. I am sure my experiences in real life with multicultural settings will be a great asset to the program and colleagues at ( ). Additionally, I am excited to join in various events such as exhibitions, competitions, art sales, career expo, and design exchange at ( ). I am eager to meet new people, and exchange ideas and views, even willing to cross borders into other fields. Plus, being in the city of ( ), where the diversity breaths, I will be accelerated to accomplish my goals as a graphic designer.

I look forward to gaining the keys how I could be a better designer who help people go on to the right direction unlike those the days of wasting find my ways on streets as myself. I am ready to explore graphic design with profound ethics and values; indeed I can have a chance to re-design the future in a graduate program in graphic design at ( ).
"Oh, not again!" I was standing at the next stationfrom where I was supposed to step off.

I couldn't count how many times I missed my stop on the subway.

The station looked so indistinguishable; I wasn't able to tell the differencebut for the sign that said it was another station.

I soon acquired a job in a small design agency where I had understanding of how visual communication worked in diverse cultural settings.

During the next four years, I worked at a daily newspaper company, and I shortly discovered myself in another discipline of design, advertising.

In addition, she saw my passion for teaching computer application skills,and she recommended me to be a part-time graphic design instructor at the community educational center.

Teaching other people has taught me a lot, just like what Stefan Sagmeister recently said in his book; helping other people helps me.

There are quite a few gramatical errors, but it is a good and interesting essay. I hope this is helpful.

Here is some more help for the first paragraph:

I was standing at the train station that came after the one where I was supposed to step off.

The more I got lost, the more I wondered why they are so identical,no matter where they were and who built those signs and symbols. Upon leaving my country in 1996, I mislaid those curiosities on streets.Now tell the reader what the main theme of this essay is, so that they know the purpose of this intro. Mention graphic design.

Home / Graduate / SOP - MFA, graduate student - "Oh, not again!"