SoP for polymeric materials ('my idea of choosing HEMA and PEGMA')

Vivian K 1 / -  
Plz give me some advise! Thank you very much!

As an undergraduate specializing in polymeric biomaterials, I find the importance of anticoagulant and anti-fouling biomaterials lies in its broad applicability as artificial organs, medical devices and disposable clinical instruments. And the dream of finding good blood compatible materials by the modification approaches such as blending, surface grafting and coating promotes researchers to move forward. It was the importance of polymeric biomaterials and the dream of researchers that first triggered me to make a crucial decision in my life to change my major from Food Science and Engineering to Polymer Materials and Engineering with a particular focus on polymeric biomaterials.

During my undergraduate studies at -- University and *** University, I have laid a firm background in materials science and engineering via various courses, among which the Basics of Material Science-bilingual education by Professor Changsheng Zhao, Surface and Thinfilm by Professor John Venables and Intro Elec/Magnet/Optical Prop by Professor Nathan Newman are the most influential ones and they engaged me various theoretical concepts and methods which are widely used in the polymer materials industry. My dedicated academic efforts are paid off: I was selected as an undergraduate representative to take part in the MIT-SCU summer campus in July 2009, and I was chosen as the ONLY student majored in polymer science and engineering to study in ** University from Aug 2010 to May 2011. What's more, I won the National Scholarship in 2011, which is granted to the top ONE students among 259.

To broaden my knowledge on biomaterials, I applied as a freshman to join in Prof. Xudong Li's group in National Engineering Research Center for Biomaterials (NEBM), where I successfully designed the process of making collagen-sodium alginate microspheres by the oil/water phase separation method. During my stay in the NEBM, I got lots of opportunities to attend some tremendous seminars on the most updated development of polymeric biomaterials. One of the most impressive one is the annual conference of NEBM, on which I had a great conversation with Prof. Robert A Brown, who is one of the top researchers in England. From this conversation, I learnt that the modified polymeric materials can perform excellent blood compatibility by just adding one or two particular functional group. I did not even hear about this idea before and this really kindled my interest in synthesizing polymeric material retarded the blood clotting.

Owe to my outstanding performance in ** University, I was given the opportunity to be an undergraduate research assistant in Prof. Karl Sieradzki's lab. I was responsible for the parameter design of electropolish process and dealloying of stainless steel stents and thin films, which have a potential utility as drug delivery materials to help treat hemangioma. It was during that period that I realized how interdisciplinary the polymeric biomaterial field is and how important it is to release the impact on the medical system exerted by the trend of population aging in China using some medical devices made of new polymeric biomaterials. My exchange experience also enlightened me on the various medical issues, which aware me of the role of the polymer material engineer towards offering better medical appliances made from polymeric biomaterials and enhanced my ultimate faith of being a leading scientist in the polymeric biomaterial field.

After three years accumulation in fundamental knowledge and lab skills, I started my senior design, 'RAFT polymerized amphiphilic ABA copolymer for the modification of blood compatible PES membranes', in Aug. 2011 under Prof. Changsheng Zhao. I am planning to examine the effect of PEO chain length and density on the HLB value of copolymer, which may affect the blood compatibility of blended membranes by XPS, GPC, static BSA adsorption and etc. And my idea of choosing HEMA and PEGMA as the hydrophilic chain of the ABA tri-block copolymer comes from Dr.**'s paper'%%%'.

The outstanding research of &&* makes me dreaming of pursuing my PhD in your esteemed program.
As an undergraduate specializing in polymeric biomaterials, I find that the importance of anticoagulant and anti-fouling biomaterials lies in its broad applicability as artificial organs, medical devices and disposable clinical instruments.

... Nathan Newman are the most influential ones and they engagedtaught? me various theoretical concepts and methods which are widely used in the polymer materials industry.

I did not even hear about this idea before and this really kindled my interest in (the fact that synthesizing?) polymeric material retarded the blood clotting.

Owing to my outstanding performance in ** University, I was given the opportunity to be an undergraduate research assistant in Prof. Karl Sieradzki's lab.

My exchange experience also enlightened me on the various medical issues, which made me aware me of the role of the polymer material engineer towards...

I don't think you need so much of the technical details, as whoever reads this might lose interest on the points you're trying to make. At the end of the essay, you should write something about why this is the perfect school for you. Good luck and have fun!

:)

Home / Graduate / SoP for polymeric materials ('my idea of choosing HEMA and PEGMA')