SOP for MS. Renewable Energy and governmental initiatives in Sweden

malvi 1 / 4  
LETTER OF MOTIVATION - RENEWABLE ENERGY IN SWEDEN (SOP)

I am looking forward to pursuing my Masters in Sustainable Energy Engineering at KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stokholm. I want to take up specialization in Solar energy offered by your course at Dalarna University College in Borlänge.

My interest in renewable energy started with a competition for designing the logo for my college's Renewable Energy Club (REC) during the first year of my studies. I learnt the distinction between carbon fuels and clean energy sources when I gathered information for the design. My logo was shortlisted in the final three and was chosen to be the welcome image for the inaugural REC conference. In the same year, I won in a model exhibition contest conducted by the club for a working model of 'geothermal energy generation and utilization'. I became actively involved in the club over the four years of my bachelors' studies and learnt about various advances in the field of renewable energy. I won second prize for my paper presentation on 'an advanced geothermal energy system' in an inter-college technical symposium during my third year of college. As my awareness about renewable energy grew, I guided my peers and juniors in various activities of the club. I also actively participated in organizing a national-level technical symposium in my college. The information I gathered during the preparation for each event furthered my interest in the connection between social awareness and energy generation. I was able to channel my interest and knowledge in my final year project, where I designed a model prototype of 'a solar powered electric vehicle for people with special needs'. I come from a country where wind and solar energy is in abundant supply, yet we suffer from frequent power failure during the day on a daily basis, which affects many small scale industries in my region. I have seen wind and solar energy being utilized only in small pockets in my country due to lack of technical knowledge. I realized that renewable energy holds the promise for the future. I am convinced that industrial advances can benefit environment and society only when they are combined with sustainable practices.

I have undergone a course in Information Technology at National Institute of Information Technology (NIIT) and am trained in ANSI C and Java. I have very good working knowledge of Microsoft Office. I have a interest in learning new languages and I am fluent in three Indian languages, Hindi, Telugu and my mother tongue Tamil. I have also learnt French in my schooling days. I was placed in an Indian IT major, Infosys Tech. Ltd based on my excellent English communication skills and academic performance. In the past two years, I have been relocated from my home twice during the course of my work, including to Karnataka, a region whose local language I did not know then. I had to use all my communication ability to find accommodation, negotiate fares and arrange for transport for me and my friends. By the end of one month, I was able to pick up the local language sufficiently enough to organize a local sightseeing tour a group of employees from my company.

I regularly take part in blood donation drives and am part of the English literary club at my company. I am interested in reading and am a member of the British Council Library in Chennai. I have a deep interest in traveling and have visited several places in Asia. I am involved in ecological conservation and have taken part in 'Clean my Beach' drive and 'Oliver Ridley Turtle Walks' in Chennai. I have attended 'Chennai Heritage Walks' and have frequently organized bird watching trips to local bird sanctuaries for my peers.

I am very impressed by Sweden's governmental initiatives with regard to sustainable development. Sweden has built a reputation for being environmentally conscious due to the peoples' positive attitude to organic food, clothing, sustainable urban planning and waste management, hence I wish to pursue my masters in Sweden.

SUBMITTED BY

MALVI
Essay_Writer - / 7  
Malvika,

Para 1

I am looking forward topursuingpursue my Masters in Sustainable Energy Engineering at KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stokholm.

Para 2
In the same year, I won in a model exhibition contest conducted by the club for a working model of 'geothermal energy generation and utilization'.

I am convinced that industrial advancesadvancements can benefit environment and society only when they are combined with sustainable practices.

Para 3

I have undergoneundertaken a course in Information Technology at National Institute of Information Technology (NIIT) and am trained in ANSI C and Java.

I have aan interest in learning new languages and I am fluent in three Indian languages, Hindi, Telugu and my mother tongue Tamil.

Para 5

I am very impressed by Sweden'sgovernmentalSweden government's initiatives with regard to sustainable development.

Needless to say you are good with words and the entire piece looks fine. But I'd suggest the entire intent of an SOP is to show your keen interest towards the college you are applying, the country you'd be studying in and what draws you towards the subject. Also what do you have to offer to the field. Even though your SOP looks good I'd suggest try not talking a lot about Infy and your computer language skills...instead put more emphasis on what you think is good about the college or Univ in Sweden that you are applying to...how you can bring a difference to the course...eg suggesting that you'd form a memshership group or lead students in the Univ for new initiatives on Solar education...stuff like that...

just my two cents....

best of luck...
OP malvi 1 / 4  
Essay_Writer
Thank you for suggesting that I shorten my infy experience. I will list my language experience and potential as a separate paragraph and replace infy experience with the below paragraph on the college marked towards the end in green . Please let me know about your opinion and inclusions. Also please suggest any improvements the description on my involvement with my college club.

I am drawn to KTH's Energy Initiative, and research in Smart Grid Technology. I want to utilize research opportunities in incorporating Solar Energy in Smart Grids that can reduce electricity costs during the day. I would like to be involved in Solar Energy initiatives in KTH.

I am very impressed by Sweden government's initiatives with regard to sustainable development. Sweden has built a reputation for being environmentally conscious due to the peoples' positive attitude to organic food, clothing, sustainable urban planning and waste management, hence I wish to pursue my masters in Sweden.I hope I will secure a place in your Masters program in Sustainable Energy Engineering.
Essay_Writer - / 7  
Malvika,

I think the final piece looks good and you've added certain really significant points in green....Infact the idea of mentioning research opportunities within the SOP is an old and tested one which is used by a lot of candidates in garnering scholarships as well...since these Universities look for students who'd stay on after their master's and pursue their Phd...looks good to me...

best of luck...

Chetan
OP malvi 1 / 4  
Thanks for your invaluable help.. I will be submitting this today.. I am highly gratefl for your prompt responses..

Home / Graduate / SOP for MS. Renewable Energy and governmental initiatives in Sweden