Spreading myself too thin on Cover letter/Personal Statement for Aerospace Engg, ISAE-SUPAERO?

VarunVP 1 / 1  

Aerospace Engineering MSc application

Hello everyone,
I'm applying to the Aerospace Engineering MSc in ISAE-SUPAERO. They need the following

Personal statement developing your personal motivations, the reasons why you have opted to study in France for this master's program and how you consider this program in your future career

There is no word limit, and what I have written stands at about 670 words. I am looking for advice on
1) Overall fulfilment of what they have asked for
2) "the reasons why you have opted to study in France for this master's program" especially. This is the last paragraph. Should I go a bit more about this?

3) "how you consider this program in your future career." Paragraph 4. I hope I have the essentials.

A key pinch point in my profile is that I have spread myself too thin. I have done things from Fluid Dynamics to Robotics (especially multicopters) Programming. I have only 1 project that I have done on Fluid Dynamics which I've written at the end of the 3rd para. Does what I have written present itself as a positive?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seeing the massive USS Enterprise and the Star Destroyers move through space, I have always dreamt of designing and working on machines that move like them effortlessly. This dream was why I took up a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering, to get my fundamentals right. My desire to make something 'fly' was so strong that I started to develop a sci-fi Android videogame about flying combat vehicles as a hobby! While it is something I still work on in my free time, it is my firm conviction that I want to flesh my dreams out and design and build sustainable, clean, and efficient flying vehicles.

My first experience with building a flying vehicle was at a quadrotor workshop at our college. While I was disappointed as the quadrotor didn't perform as expected, I took it upon myself to learn more about them. At a fixed-wing workshop later, I enjoyed learning aerodynamics and building a fixed-wing. Finally, when it was time for our final year project, I wanted to apply what I had learnt towards a social good. That's when I led a team to build a low-cost UAV powered by compressed air to spray fertilisers for small and medium-sized farms. Apart from working on something unconventional, what makes me proud is the multidisciplinary research I put in, from electronics to CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics). The moral support from my guide and the financial support from the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) was humbling. Winning the Best Project Award among ten teams nationwide at the Fluid Power Society of India conference was only the cherry on top.

At the Robert Bosch Centre for Cyber-Physical Systems, IISc, I had the freedom to explore my aviation-related interests further. While I used my earlier programming experience to program controllers for UAVs, it was the focus on practical implementation here, not just theory, that taught me the most. My multidisciplinary skillset was also highly valued and encouraged here. I had the privilege of applying my theoretical structural knowledge on a quadruped robot's leg link, all while programming the software architecture and controllers for UAVs for an international robotics competition. Gradually I felt the need to channel my attention to aerodynamics and controls, as I thought that I could contribute the most here. When I let our Department's Chairman know about this, he pointed me to an opportunity to do CFD analysis for an air quality sensor developed at the Centre for Nanoscience and Engineering (CeNSE), IISc. I applied CFD analysis to optimise airflow so that the required gases could reach the sensors. The project pushed my skills to the boundaries and made me realise the impact that basic fluid phenomena have on our everyday lives. The control of flow electronically will have a cascading effect on all aspects of our lives. This realisation cemented in me the specialisation that I should pursue for my Masters. It also aligned with my views of doing my bit for the environment.

I am interested in electroaerodynamics (EAD) and its applications in flow control and propulsion. ISAE-SUPAERO's focus on a common core curriculum and the wide choice of electives will prepare me to design, analyze and integrate these new concepts into a whole system, with the right aerospace foundations. The skills learnt here will benefit me immensely in my future career, as I need to have a strong foundation for implementing these concepts in commercial aircraft.

ISAE-SUPAERO's location in Toulouse, France, in the Aerospace Valley is advantageous for conducting research to cut down emissions using for the commercial aerospace industry. I have always found it impressive that France designed and built a supersonic passenger aircraft in the 1960s. Due to achievements like these, I believe that France's superior experience in the aerospace industry will be advantageous to excelling and innovating in the field. Also, India and France's strong international ties will help me secure employment in both countries. I believe that this will pave the way for a great career, where I will be capable of combining the best of both worlds.
The second to the last paragraph is practically the most important aspect of this personal statement and you dropped the ball. Develop that further, definitely thresh out the discussion in terms of why you chose to study in France, based on its aeronautics technological superiority and your future career ambitions. Relate the discussion to a future you see for yourself as a leader in this field. Develop the "how the program will help your future career" as a stand alone paragraph. Be detailed since there is no maximum word count. This is an interview after all so say what you have to say, without limits if none are given. You can always edit it later on for clarity and cohesiveness.
OP VarunVP 1 / 1  
The paragraph 4 is the "how the program will help your future career" paragraph. Do you suggest another paragraph apart from this?

Home / Graduate / Spreading myself too thin on Cover letter/Personal Statement for Aerospace Engg, ISAE-SUPAERO?