Personal statement for admission into international development studies MA Program

sijuwade 1 / -  

international development studies admission

Growing up in an African society, I was surrounded by the belief that professional or white-collar jobs were the most esteemed career paths. With a desire to make my parents proud and a limited understanding of the possibilities, I aspired to become a doctor, assuming it was the only way to help people and improve living conditions. Unaware of the true power of the written word, I possessed a deep interest in writing. Little did I know that a career in strategic communications existed, offering the ability to inspire change not only within my community but also on an international scale. From a young age, I discovered the power of expressing my thoughts through writing. While facing challenges and carving my path, I found solace in penning my ideas. Reading became a deep love, even when others didn't share my interest. The words of praise for my writing echoed through my childhood. I never imagined I could turn this passion into a career. The ability to weave words together, creating meaning and evoking emotions, captivated me. As the Chief Editor for the Zonta International club, I realized the value others found in my work, propelling me to pursue a bachelor's degree in communications. Now, as a recent graduate with a bachelor's degree in mass communication, I stand here with newfound hope and a sense of purpose. It is with this passion and drive that I seek an even greater challenge by applying for this master's program in international studies. My goal is to bring about social change and development by asking the right questions and seeking the right answers.

Driven by a commitment to effective operations and development through communications, I secured the positions of assistant general secretary and general secretary, recommended by esteemed professors who recognized my writing prowess. At the age of 17, I embraced these leadership roles while also serving as a student representative on the quality assurance committee. Collaborating with fellow students and faculty, I actively contributed to discussions focused on enhancing teaching standards and promoting student well-being. These experiences sparked a keen interest in project management and community development. My studies in Mass Communication expanded my understanding of writing for development, international communication, and the transformative power of media. Achieving outstanding academic results, including a 5.00 GPA, validated my commitment to excellence. Interning at a local radio station and an international TV network exposed me to news production and the influential role of media in shaping public discourse. These experiences, combined with my passion for effective communication, have inspired me to pursue a master's degree in international studies.

Beyond academics, I actively engage in community service, regularly supporting an orphans' outreach program. I played an active role in the Environmental Sanitation team, promoting a sustainable campus environment. These experiences underscored the interconnectedness of global issues and the need for holistic approaches to international development. To enhance my professional skills, I obtained certifications in Communication Management, Brand Management, and Social Media Marketing. These credentials deepen my understanding of strategic communication, brand development, and leveraging social media for effective campaigns. With a solid foundation in communications, these skills will contribute to my success in international studies at the master's level.

The opportunity to learn from experts and collaborate with diverse students in this prestigious international studies program excites me. Practical workshops and skill development align with my passion for capturing cultures through photography and driving social development. Building on my communications and community engagement background, I am inspired to pursue advanced studies to explore the interconnectedness of global issues and make a positive impact.

As I approach the completion of my bachelor's degree in Communications, I am eager to take the next step and pursue a master's degree in international studies. By immersing myself in this esteemed program, learning from experts, and collaborating with peers, I will deepen my understanding and contribute to positive change. With expertise in effective communication, a grasp of global affairs, and unwavering dedication, I can shape a more just and sustainable world. I am thrilled about the opportunity to be part of this international studies program, advancing global understanding and cooperation. With determination and a fervent passion for international development, I am ready to embrace the challenges and opportunities of this transformative journey.
Were there writing prompts provided for this personal statement ? If no, then you should have provided it to assist me in reviewing your paper. A standard personal statement is never used to present your academic and work experiences as you have done here. The personal statement in often used to help the reviewer get a better understanding of who you are beyond the academic and professional confines. You chose to focus on those 2 aspects in this presentation instead. The information contained does not help the reviewer Assess how well you will blend into the student community of the school. Your core reference is on how academically prepared you are for the course but, not how socially prepared you are to face a diverse student community. Talk more about life experiences rather than academic preparation.

Home / Graduate / Personal statement for admission into international development studies MA Program