Personal statement -- Building and Engineering

xiayiyue 1 / 1  
The deadline is on the horizon, thanks for spending time to help me polish it.

Our cities have been expanding tremendously and rapidly with massive house and transportation construction. The urban extension has consumed considerable amount of funds, manpower and materials during construction, operation and maintenance, contributing to modern-looking landscape and economic prosperity. However, under poor and irregular project management more projects mean additional resource wastes, engineering accidents and quality defects. And I realize that tiny things can make an immeasurable vast difference in construction.

The Three Gorges Project accompanied with climate changes and geological hazards have drawn my attention. I wrote a report, 'Argument on The Three Gorges Project', focusing on theoretical divergences from the construction feasibility study and the actual performance against its expectations. Accuracy of dam height, pattern of sediment deposition and capacity of flood storage would have a huge effect on its function. I hope to reach final conclusions to something uncertain at your prestigious school.

The professional knowledge provided me with a solid foundation for practice, while interest took me into job site. What impressed me most about the Jiubao section construction spot of Hangzhou Subway was its gigantic foundation pit. It was the first time that I observed anchor supporting structures, underground continuous walls and dewatering technology. Several months later, collapse accident suddenly occurred at another section of the subway construction field. Based on the accident investigations carried by government departments, I gained a lot through making a presentation about its engineering accident diagnoses and responsibility confirmation about construction supervision system. Learned from the bitter experience, I attached great importance to detailed structures.

Comparing two residential projects under similar construction conditions during practice, I noticed that all-around design and procurement work, adequate consideration to construction organization and strict on-site management significantly impacted on the safety, schedule and profit. All of this made me look into issues related to variation of risk and responsibility among participants and challenges in cross-regional project management. Therefore, it is the field of building engineering which captures my interest and attracted me to pursue my graduate study.

My TOEFL score would soon be sent to you since I do not receive the score yet. I sincerely hope to have an opportunity to participate in your fascinating programs, which will benefit me to reach my full potential and be well prepared for a managerial career in the construction industry.

Are the sentences too long ? help me to cut them in two or more
I'm sorry no one reviewed it again before the deadline. It is very impressive, though! I see no major errors, but little things I might change, like this:

And I realize that tiny things can make an immeasurable vast difference in construction.

My TOEFL score would will be sent to you as soon as I receive it.

:-)

Good luck!!!

Home / Graduate / Personal statement -- Building and Engineering