Statement of purpose for MS in Computer Science programs. I'm not sure how I should structure it.

anu_mh 1 / 1  

structure of my SOP

I've been struggling trying to write my SOP. I'm not sure how I should structure it. What I've written so far is basically a rehashing of my resume and 2-3 short paragraphs about the university with generalities like "flexible course" and "highly qualified faculty". I know this is a bad SOP but I don't really know how to word it better and am feeling really lost. I need this SOP to be really convincing as my overall profile is not great. I just graduated 3 months ago and don't have any work experience either.

I've seen a lot of people say it should highlight your purpose of applying to the program, but my main purpose is just to learn more about CS in depth and get a good job, and I don't know how I can say that without sounding crass or make it more than 2 lines. In all the SOPs i have seen so far, people have highlighted specific research interests, however I am not really interested in research, which is why i'll be applying to programs that are not research focused. That being said, I am not really sure what else to write about.

I am interested in some topics of ML like NLP but im also into software engineering. Would it be a good idea to say I want to explore more of both these areas? Or would this seem juvenile and like I lack direction? Do I just highlight either one of them?
Based upon what you have said, it would appear that you are not qualified for either strand of masters learning. You would like to learn more, but you are not qualified to enter either field due to the picky nature of your interest in the topic. You have to fit the course requirements of the universities, not the other way around. I would suggest that you get some basic work experience first, say for about 6 months, before you consider applying for any MS Computer Science programs. That way you can give your application more of a direction in a relevant field. An MS student cannot be a jack of all trades, masters of none. You must be sure that you actually have a career path to follow otherwise you could lose interest and drop the course you enrolled in.
OP anu_mh 1 / 1  

That makes sense, thanks for the reply! I'll take your advice into consideration and see how to proceed

Home / Graduate / Statement of purpose for MS in Computer Science programs. I'm not sure how I should structure it.