Statement of Intent - Master os Sci.Programm in Hospitality

jele 1 / 1  
Does anybody know how difficult it is to express and explain my ambitiouns ,motives and my desire why to make the biggest step in my life by moving overseas to a world I do not know anything about?

Why would I do it?
Believe it or not to study and gain MS from the XXXXX College in Houston,Texas.

Being a caring and creative person I was consequently drawn to the studies of management in the hotels and hospitality in general. Pursuing a profession with many facets meant a world to me.

As you can see from the enclosed CV I have already gained a Bachelor Degree from the College for Management in Tourism and Hotels/Hospitality at the University of Zagreb, Croatia.

But stop! Was it all necessary to be said about my way to get " on the higher playing field", about my interests and goals?

It was no all that simple and easy on the way till this opportunity knocked on my door and my stepfather and my mother said:" What about US, Texas and XXX...?"

When I was 12 years old my parents divorced. Till than I have enjoyed a perfect family life in a luxury house, travelling and, I thought, harmony. Well, like many children all over. Of course I was turned apart, unhappy, most of all - lost. It seemed to me that any kind of new life in front of me will not ever bring my world back.

My mother decided to leave Germany with me, for some time, we thought. My big brother was engaged as a soldier by the German Army and I missed him tremendously. The worst was happening: my family scattered everywhere!

But there was something good left for me in the future except I had not seeing the opportunity coming.
We moved to our house on a beautiful island Hvar in Mediterranien.
A too big house just to live in it.
As my mother announced that we shall start our own, family business in that house I was not aware that it was a beginning of my "hospitality career"!

We turned it into summer apartments, very nice ones, direct by the sea and were happy watching our first guests coming. Many of them were returning for years enjoying their evenings on our terraces drinking a glass of wine, loving the smell of the pine woods and eating fish in nearby restaurants.

Every summer vacations I used to work in one of these restaurants or hotels. Now there was a clear plan in place: hospitality as a chance, a challenge and a choice. I already knew what I wanted; my chance to open my intellectual door to the world and to broaden my view well beyond the usual. Like...a challenge to learn a big hotel or resort operations in a compressed timeframe and to adapt to a completely unfamiliar environment. A choice to diverge from the mainstream path.

And that was it!
The Sunnyisland payed our bills, my High School in Split and the most of my College costs in Zagreb. My stepfather was behind me all the time, took my hand and led me to the High School Diploma, my first days at the College and followed till my Degree.

After finishing Gymnasium in Split I had no doubts where to go further with my studies. I took the bus and went to Zagreb to the College for Management in Tourism and Hospitality and just passed the entering exam. I was in!

I enjoyed my years at the College, took every opportunity that came along to work in groups, team researching ,made many good projections on given topics .As a member of the Student Executive Committee I had to show my skilled communication.

At the beginning of my College time I had no idée where would my future profession take me in life but I knew I made a right decision.

Even now I can not predict what is going to happen in the coming years but I do not even have to know it!
Getting MS Degree makes a perfect sense for an inexperienced Hospitality manager; it is a perfect academic supplement and I am quite sure there will be a place for me with a real job, at the real place with the real business situation. If I may add, this time I create real opportunity for myself.

I am very excited about entering Master of Science in Hospitality Management program that will allow me to focus on my interests as well as provide me with the career possibilities and exposure to resources, such as a variety of networks and learning tools.

The intercultural contact with the students from all over the world could enormously broaden my understanding of the peoples and provide valuable experience for my international career.

I am prepared to enrol in your post-graduate program because I am enormously hardworking person, devoted to her profession.
Liebe 1 / 542 2  
Being a caring and creative person I was consequently drawn to the studies of management in the hotels and hospitality in general.

^How does being caring and creative, draw you to hotel management and hospitality?

instead of providing a life story, perhaps you should consider discussing why you are interested in your academic field, why you feel the need to pursue higher education, why you would like to study at the Uni you are applying to, and how the Uni suits your personality and interests.

This is a personal statement afterall.
OP jele 1 / 1  
Thank you, comments are welcomed and noted.
I will try to write a new one but it is getting to a nightmare! Coming from european schools I REALY do not know Right's and Noright's with such essays
Your first paragraph says it is very difficult for you to "express and explain" something about yourself. I don't think it is necessary to say it is difficult. I think you should say it is meaningful. And instead of questioning why you would do it, you should ask this:

With a world of opportunity available to me, what school should I choose? I choose XXXXX College in Houston,Texas, because ______________.

Until then, I have enjoyed a perfect family life in a luxury house, traveling, and what I thought was interpersonal harmony.

The worst was happening: my family scattered everywhere!-------good sentence! This is good writing; you express emotion, and you use a good word: scattered.

:-)

Home / Graduate / Statement of Intent - Master os Sci.Programm in Hospitality