Personal Statement - Why do you want to be a PA - life decisions

Alvin123 1 / 1  
Hey! I am in the process of applying to PA school. This is just a rough draft. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

When I began college at the University of the Pacific, I did not have a clear career path in mind. I am from Germany and to be honest, I didn't even consider staying in the United States and finishing my degree. I was recruited by the Women's Volleyball team and I rather saw this opportunity as a chance to see what it is like to live overseas and being away from home for maybe one or two years. I always saw myself studying in Germany, close to family and friends. However, things changed, as they do so often in life.

As I ventured through my first two semesters at the University of the Pacific, I decided to declare my major in Sports Medicine with a minor in Biology. I have always been interested in science and especially the human body and its functions. During my second year at Pacific I started taking more core classes - I was obsessed! Most of my fellow classmates started complaining about how much there is to study for Biology classes. Not me, I didn't mind studying, I was looking forward to it.

This was when I knew I was going to finish my degree and stay for another two years. It was not an easy decision both mentally and emotionally. I had to leave my loved ones in Germany and start a "new" life 10.000 miles away. However, I knew it was worth it, because for the first time in my life, I knew exactly what I wanted! I found my passion!

During my third year at Pacific, I did an Internship at an orthopaedic surgeon medical center. This was when I first learned about the PA profession.

During my tenure, I got to spend some time with several surgeons as well as a Physician Assistant (PA). This was when I first learned about the PA profession.

Although I did this internship to experience what it is like to work as a doctor, I found myself being more interested in the PA profession.

The PA I was shadowing specialized in spine and was working with two other doctors. I remember one specific incident where a patient would specifically ask for the PA instead of the doctor for a pre-op check up. The patients' reasoning was that the PA would be more understanding and more comforting than the actual doctor. This surprised me but gave me a good idea of what role a PA can play in a patient's life. From what I experienced a PA interacts on a more personal basis with the patients and makes them feel secure and cared for.

For the rest of my internship I mostly focused on the role of a Physician Assistant and I soon knew that this is what I want to do. This profession seemed to be the perfect fit for me.

The PA I was shadowing had her own unique experience which made her the PA she was. There are different ways of perusing this career and every path is different, but in the end, every PA shares the same goal in the healthcare industry which is providing professional medical care and having the ability to treat and diagnose patients. I realized that these goals are very similar to what I have for myself.

At the orthopaedic medical center I observed both inpatient and outpatient surgical procedures, including arthroscopies of a number of joints, as well as total joint replacements. I also attended lectures in orthopaedic surgery and performed joint arthroscopy and dissection of human cadaver joint. I saw the PA and the doctor work as a team which added onto my growing passion for the PA profession. As I continued my internship and showed my interest and ability to work with patients, the doctor let me palpate injuries as well as perform some examinations which led to the right diagnosis.

Additionally, my career as a professional volleyball player in Vienna after college added on to my experience in the medical field. During my entire career as an athlete I was exposed to the operating room and surgery, extensive and painful physical therapy, X-Rays, MRI's, and cortisone injections. I also actively participated in rehabilitation processes of teammates with torn rotator cuffs or ACL reconstructions.

Being an athlete for almost my entire life I learned the value of determination, dedication, hard work, and persistence individually and as a team member. I understand the role each team member has to fulfill in order to be efficient and successful. I enjoy working with people to find answers and solutions for problems patients bring in. As a PA, I would become an important part of a medical team, providing patients with the personalized care that they expect and deserve.

I know the PA profession is the perfect health care profession for me because I can effectively work within a team and can communicate with people on a personal basis. Along with the passion for medicine, treating people, caring for them and providing quality medical care I will be an essential addition to any medical team. Dedication, self-confidence and perseverance will help me to succeed and be the best Physician Assistant I can be.
ana_p 27 / 81  
Hi,

It doesn't look like a rough draft. You can use it as it is..:) Its a well written and perfect personal statement.

All the best.

Thanks,
Ana.
westway50 1 / 8  
I agree with Ana. It is a very well written personal statement. The beginning caught my attention right away for the rest of the narrative was very well written
jrh 1 / 3  
yes this essay is very good. it does seem like a final draft and it clearly gets your point across about your desires to become a PA. i am also applying to PA school, if you could read my essay and give me some feed back that would be great! thank you
Lela LIU - / 1  
I think this is a good essay because it clearly shows why you want to be a PA, and it also reveals your opinions about your life.

Home / Graduate / Personal Statement - Why do you want to be a PA - life decisions