Personal Statement for Msc in Marketing in Dublin

fariha 1 / -  
Hi. I am applying for a Masters in Marketing in Dublin, could you please have a look at the personal statement I have drafted? Any pointers in regards to the statement would be highly appreciated.

Marketing program at Trinity College Dublin

My interest in marketing first sparked as a child when I saw my mother always buying the same brand of cooking oil, my father getting us Adidas shoes from every trip abroad, or referring to all soft drink beverages as "Coke". Marketing is the soul, present, and future of successful businesses all around the globe. Effective marketing campaigns can transcend the threshold of culture and time. Growing up, the catchy jingles, creative narratives, and glimmer of the ads stuck to me. Later on, when I was doing my undergraduate studies in Marketing, I finally began to comprehend how businesses create value or demand for a particular product or service, why people buy what they buy, and the art of establishing a strong relationship with customers so that they keep coming back. Understanding and employing these concepts in either professional or research settings formed the core of my decision to apply for an MSc in Marketing at Trinity College Dublin.

My decision to apply for MSc in Marketing at Trinity College Dublin came as an accumulation of my educational, professional and personal experiences. I was able to formulate innovative campaigns for marketing projects for my Strategic Marketing and International Marketing courses through critical thinking, organization and time management. The course on Marketing research enabled me to gain and understand consumer insight using qualitative, quantitative data analysis and SPSS. Services marketing course taught me how brands retain customers by forming relationships and how retaining those relationships is more important. The retention of these relationships coupled with understanding customer needs in a more one-on-one setting are skills I became adept at during my three years in customer relations.

But my professional experience is not enough for me to take the next step in developing my career and myself. The MSc in Marketing degree at an esteemed institution such as Trinity will give me the edge I require to be able to thrive in my career. In terms of the intersection & co-dependence of marketing and society, I have only been able to grasp an academic & professional understanding from a South-East Asian perspective. By employing that approach and building upon that on a global level through studying the Marketing & Society module, and coupling that the relevant skills acquired from the Consumer Behavior module, will allow me to evolve my career exponentially. Furthermore, my tenured experience in SouthEast Asian marketing practices will bring a diverse and unique outlook towards marketing among my peers. Lastly, when working in the Marketing sphere in a country like Bangladesh, where Digital Communication is still blooming, the challenges faced in regards to data analytics and the subsequent solutions I have had to formulate, ensure that I am able to always transcend beyond expectations in regards to both the exertion of work and innovation of a solution.

An innovative solution is only as good as the experiences that are behind formulating it and the experiences that I would gather from this program would stimulate me to attempt to diverge from conventional solutions whether it be in a meeting room or a classroom. Although I believe I do possess the ardor to excel at any elite marketing organization, studying in the MSc in Marketing program at Trinity College Dublin, would not only assure me that I will be able to formulate the most adept solutions but also ask the right questions to reach those.
As you are discussing an interest in Marketing based on a masters degree foundation, you should avoid references to "as a child". The reviewers do not really believe anybody who refers to having a keen sense of observation as a child. Specially when seeking advanced studies. Change that to simply an observation you have made over the years, which led to your interest in marketing. Focus more on Marketing as it applies to your current profession rather than explaining your interest in marketing from such trivial references as commercial jingles, creative narrative, etc. It just makes you sound too juvenile in what should otherwise be a highly adult presentation of your interests. Try to aim for a professional tone instead. Pretend you are applying for a job, how would you present yourself? Do it that way.

Paragraph 3 is part of your motivation for studies, not your personal statement. That should be removed and placed in the more appropriate discussion essay. You failed to really explain why you have chosen the Trinity College Dublin as a part of your personal statement. The explanation for that should be based more on your desire to grow as an individual since this is a personal statement. The academic reason, should be presented in the letter of motivation.

Home / Graduate / Personal Statement for Msc in Marketing in Dublin