"supportive Christian environment and my devotion" - Master's Nursing Admission

trikle2005 1 / -  
I am appyling to an Entry- Level Master's Nursing Program. Please proof read any sugesstion arew appretiated! Thank you.

Prompt: Written statement of educational and professional goals, also known as a Letter to the Dean (This essay should be one to two pages in length.)

Josh had exceeded the life expectancy for his fatal, neurodegenerative disease and unlike other special needs students at the school, my duty was not to educate Josh, but to comfort and care for him. However, I realized I was not equipped with the skills required to fully care for him. I looked to Anna, a registered nurse, who regularly came to help with Josh's medical needs. I watched in fascination as the nurse poured a nutritional supplement into his gastric feeding tube. Josh brightened with the nurse by his side. Impressed by the nurse's ability to provide both medical and emotional support, I asked her questions about nursing and reflected on my own work. Aiding students with special needs does combine my interests in education and health, yet after experiences with students who needed more care than I could provide, I am not comfortable with the limited influence I have on my students' wellness. I need to do more. Attending the nursing program at ______University will allow me to combine my compassion for human life, and previous education with specialized nursing skills, so that I may provide scientific-based care to marginalized individuals, their families and communities.

My pursuit for providing health care to marginalized and under-served populations has resulted from personal experience of receiving care from free clinics and church shelter when my family was in need of help. Consequently, these experiences have revealed the importance of community and public health and through nursing I will commit myself to help underrepresented people in my community to reach their optimal health and well being.

To further gain knowledge in the nursing profession I explored the field of nursing by interviewing registered nurses and looked for any opportunity to interact with nurses. I began volunteering at the ____ Community Clinic in _____, a nurse managed health clinic. I take great pride in being a part of a clinic that provides access to high quality health care for women who would otherwise have no where else to go. Through the clinic I have been able to have direct impact on patient's health through client centered health education and other medical assisting duties. The clinic has provided the opportunity to shadow and assist nurses in procedures; it is clear the work of a nurse is arduous, demands critical thinking and continuous education. For this reason, I am prepared to work diligently to become a nurse and help people be at the best health they can be.

My immediate goal upon completion of the nursing program at ______ University is to practice as a registered nurse, which I am assured that with the guidance of the ____University nursing faculty and skills acquired through the program's clinical residency, I will be successful in the completion of this goal. In addition, I hope to gain further knowledge in the health disparities research of Dr. Cruz and how it may apply to my interest of the lack of healthy food options for low socioeconomic populations. My future goals are to practice as a Family Nurse Practitioner in a community-based health center. I strongly believe there is an explicit connection between the well being of the individual, the family, and the community, which function in a profound cycle, each impacting the other. As an advance practice nurse, not only will I apply research-based care, improve and maintain the health of my patients, but for the community in which they live in as well. By promoting health, educating, and advocating for the community, I will better serve the health needs of my patients and their families. Furthermore, obtaining an advanced nursing degree will give me the invaluable opportunity to deepen my understanding of the nursing profession and achieve my long-term goal of becoming a nurse educator and researcher.

I am excited to one day be able to provide care similar to that of Luca's nurse and the nurses at the _____Community Clinic. It would be an honor to be a part of _____ University's prestigious School of Nursing, for I am assured that _____ University's esteemed nurse faculty, supportive Christian environment and my devotion to achieve my goals will give me success and fulfillment as a student in the Entry-level Master's program. Thank you much for taking the time to consider me as your student.
Brilliant. This is really good writing.
Let me try to help in the spot where I first noticed some room for improvement... here, below, I'll trim some excess words and give a suggestion:

To further gain knowledge in the nursing profession Inspired, I explored the field of nursing by interviewing registered nurses and looked for any opportunity to interact with nurses. I began

Great job... I recommend Jean Watson's theory of care for you... you'll like it!
Also, it would be good to mention that or some other nursing theory(google: "nursing theorists")...choose your favorite, so you can mention it, and the reader will know that you have been really studying this stuff.

:-) You write so well!! I hope you continue to hone your skill.

Home / Graduate / "supportive Christian environment and my devotion" - Master's Nursing Admission