Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

I want to talk about Victor Papanek; MA Design Management / Service Design

cupcake 1 / -  
Hello. I am an international student who is applying for graduate design management course.
Please help me out with grammar. Thanks!

Design experience
Do you have experience in design research and/or design practice during your undergraduate studies or elsewhere? Have you under taken practical design projects, for example? If so, what design sector were you involved in?

I pursued a Bachelors of Interior Design. While in the university, I was able to build a strong vocabulary in design through the great curriculum including the study of history, theory, drawing, structures, energy, materials, lighting and technology. I was also taught a wide range of design-related issues, ranging from ethics and sustainability, to semiotics and psychology.

I would like to say the main design studio class was close to interior architecture. The course focused on factors influencing the design of the interior environment through exploring issues of their social, spiritual, philosophical, political, technological, and economic circumstances. One of our practical design projects included furniture class. The class, ODCD (Oriental Domestic Culture & Design) focused on the research and application of specific furniture themes related to Asian inhabitant culture. Our school established academic ties with Chinese and Japanese design schools through this programme. In our final year we attended the Milan Furniture Fair along with our school projects which offered us a chance to explore the cross-cultural and innovative elements of contemporary furniture design.

My bachelor's programs helped me, and to develop and pursue their particular skills and interests in design.

Design inspiration
What designers or design organisations inspire you and why?

There are various designers who I was inspired by but if I had to choose one, I want to talk about Victor Papanek. Victor Papanek was probably one of the most controversial and influential figure in the history of sustainable design. He was a designer and educator who strongly advocated designs with social and ecological responsibilities. He disapproved designs that are showy, unsafe, and unless. He pointed out that "design has become the most powerful tool with which man shapes his tools and environments (and, by extension, society and himself)". Triggered by social unrest, environmental damage, high levels of pollution, and potential depletion of the world's resources in the 1960s, Papanek began to challenge the design establishment, criticize modern and unsustainable development, and suggest alternatives. He soon became the unpopular person among designers and corporations, because Kleenex culture was the dominating trend in American's consumer market at that time. Four years after publishing the controversial Design for the Real World, Papanek was described as being "disliked, even loath by his contemporaries" in Design magazine. He was often savagely attacked by his peer designers and forced to resign from professional body, which threaten to boycott an exhibition at the Centre Pompidou in Paris if his work was included. Yet the first edition of his book had been translated into more than 20 languages and had become the most widely read book on design in the world.Design for the Real World urges designers to take a more responsible role in a consumerist society. Even after his death in 1998, Papanek still remains hugely influential, and he is considered to be the pioneer of sustainable and humanitarian design..

Why lancaster
Please outline the reasons for your application to Lancaster University, what are your career aspirations, etc (approxs 400 words)

Four years in design university, and other four years in service industry eventually made me have attention in service design, design management. And living and travelling overseas(over the world) helps me to understand cultural diversity and social responsibility of design. Now I have great interested in the how innovation and design can improve the lives of people, society and the economy at leadership level. Furthermore, have a hunger to deepen my studies in the field of design management.

I chose the UK as my academic destination because there is a good mix of culture, heritage and hospitality in UK. And I believe that the UK is an ideal setting for design-related studies, as the design field is highly developed and reputable, and such a setting will not only allow me to gain exposure, but will give me an opportunity to broaden my spectrum.

Lancaster was strongly recommended to me as an excellent place to study. Not only because of its excellent facilities, highly qualified faculty but mainly because of LICA's reputation for research excellence. I am applying to your Master programme after viewing the course curriculum provided by your university. The course also seems to have a good balance between practical and theoretical work while developing knowledge and skills in a field. In addition, the other reason I am fascinated by your programme is that the curriculum addresses various contemporary topics including innovation through socially responsible, humanitarian and sustainable design, and innovation through science and technology. These issues are in my personal interests areas where I also hope to work in future. As the research focus and facilities available in your department complement my research interests and requirements, I believe that being a part of your department would not only enhance my career opportunities, but also help me realize my maximum potential. Thus, I feel that as a Master student at your department, I can avail myself numerous exciting opportunities.

I look forward to graduate study at LICA as an exciting, and essential stage in my life. I am eager to apply my academic preparation and enthusiasm in Lancaster's programme.

Personal Statement Guidance
Applicants are required to complete a Personal Statement (minimum 100 words) as part of the application process. Please use the following guidance on how to complete the Personal Statement in your own words:

Why did you choose Lancaster University and the course you are applying for?
What makes you a suitable candidate for the course you are applying for?
What can you contribute to the course?
What benefits do you expect to gain from the course?
How is the course related to your academic and/or career development.

After four years as a design student, I chose a little different way. While other students chose either to start working in the field or to study more in graduate school, I decided to explore unexpected world. I travelled a lot during university with wide ranging interests. I have been interested in living in different countries, wanted to see more and learn more.

I went to Japan and stayed for one and half years, then moved to Canada, spent another two and half years. I used to live in world famous ski resort villages most times in both countries. Due to the character of towns and my life style, I used to work in the service environment such as hospitality and tourism industries. During which time, working as a service provider, I often had chances to observe the experience of people who get services and also I was an actual user of various types of services. This inspired me become developing interests in "service design" and "design thinking". I took a different way of looking at design as I changed myself. The experiences of customer service fascinate me: how design exists not as a non material product, as a solution, that is both profitable and pleasurable to the customer; how design changes individuals, private sectors and public.

Apart from working, I have also travelled to many countries which made me to have diverse personal interests. Especially as visiting developing countries, I have started thinking about social responsibility of design such as humanism, environmentally-friendly design and sustainable design. I believe the strong power of design. One design can effect on hundred, thousand of people therefore designers should be responsible for their activities and think of how they will have positive contribution on the society.

I didn't get any career in design field, however I personally experienced a wide range of culture in many different countries. This adventures gave me a chance to closely interact with people of different cultures. I learned to adjust myself with the people of different taste, sentiments and cultures. I find myself very comportable to mix with the people of different cultures as well as to have comprehension of cultural diversity and to appreciate coexistence that I believe some of the most important qualities of a designer. The experiences after graduating emboldened me with an understand the different ways people think or their cultural backgrounds.

I chose the Lancaster University as my destination not only because of its excellent facilities, highly qualified faculty but mainly because of the reputation for research excellence. I believe it is an ideal setting for design-related studies, as the design courses are highly developed and reputable, and such a setting. There are two most valuables outcomes I hope to achieve through the master's programme. Firstly, I wish to be equipped with innovative ideas and to indicate outstanding experiences for individuals and businesses, hence improve the quality of every moment in daily living. The other thing is that I want to be able to contribute to make the world a better place with innovation through socially responsible, humanitarian and sustainable design. I firmly believe that LICA's programme offers me an opportunity to improve myself academically, to perk up my career prospects and to contribute to a better society.

Working in a multicultural environment and becoming a professional are also the goals included in my future plan. I believe I have the talent for it. I look forward to graduate study at Lancaster University as an exciting, and essential stage in my life. I am eager to apply my academic preparation and enthusiasm in this programme.

Home / Graduate / I want to talk about Victor Papanek; MA Design Management / Service Design