'time when you went out of your way to help a colleague' Competency based question

beskate 2 / 5  
I am applying for graduate position in one big company.
And there are several competency based questions. Can somebody please check one of them?

Describe a time when you went out of your way to help a colleague or customer? A customer could be someone you have done work for in a job or at university for example.

What was the situation?
What did you do?
Why did you decide to help?
What obstacles did you encounter and how did you overcome them?
What was the outcome?
What feedback did you receive?

During my first job in the small advertising company, I worked as an Office Administrator, although from time to time, I had to perform additional tasks. Once a client came in, and he needed to develop a completely new logo for the company and several designs of business cards. My Head Manager was usually in charge of these types of clients, however he was away this time, and could not be back in a couple of hours. I realized that company could not lose such a valuable client.

Therefore, I told the client about the company and our services, and what we were able to do for him. Then, I took his ideas about new logo, and was able to sketch a quick design in the Photoshop. It was a bit challenging at first, but the client was patient, and I was able to keep him interested in our company. Moreover, it was a bit tricky to multi task by keeping conversation and dealing with design issues. But I managed to deal with it by engaging the client in the design making procedure, which he enjoyed quite a lot. Later, Head Manager came back, and was able to take the client from there. As a result, because I built the initial foundation, it was easier for the head manager to communicate with the client. Moreover, the client also approved my initial designs for the logo with minor corrections. Hence, besides from enhancing my communication and creativity skills, I was able to persuade a valuable client to stay with the company, which provided 20% of the profit. Head Manager was very pleased with my performance, and from the foundation I had built, company continued long-term cooperation with the client, and it lasts until now.
During my first job, in a small advertising company, I worked as an Office Administrator, although from time to time, I had to perform additional tasks.

My Head Manager was usually in charge of these types of clients, however he was away at this time, and would not be back for a couple of hours.

I realized that our company could not lose such a valuable client.

Then, I took his ideas about the new logo, and was able to sketch a quick design into Photoshop.

Hence, besides from enhancing my communication and creativity skills, I was able to persuade a valuable client to stay with the company, which provided 20% of the profit.

The Head Manager was very pleased with my performance, ...

I don't think you should capitalize 'head manager'. Good essay though, have fun in school and good luck!

:)
OP beskate 2 / 5  
thank you :)

Home / Graduate / 'time when you went out of your way to help a colleague' Competency based question