"If you could wish for one thing, what would it be?" ;SOP/Choice of career

genge09 1 / 1  
Hello guyz My name is George and am looking forward to joining a masters program in computer science.Am required to write a statement of purpose and this is what I came up with.Please review it and tell me what needs to be changed.Note English is not my first language. Thank you.

Early enough In my childhood I was lucky to attend a primary school where computer studies was one of the core subjects being taught .In one of the introductory sessions the computer tutor stated "if man was to be succeeded then computers would be the successful candidate". Although I didn't make much of it then, it tickled my fancy, got me wondering what the world would be like if and when we got there. Would we be able to talk to machines and order them around for chores? It was like a new world had been conjured up in my brain and I was going to be part of it the best way I knew how. This I did by working hard in my studies and by the end of the year I had been appointed class representative of my computer class for my excellent grades.

To know that one could manipulate a machine to behave in whatever way they chose, really invigorated me. This was helped by the fact that one of my uncles owned a computer repair company, which I would often visit during the holidays. Witnessing the renaissance of the faulty computers sparked a passion in me that would culminate into a career goal, high on my bucket list.

In order to achieve my career goals I opted to study Business Management & Information Technology at *********** in Kenya. This choice was arrived at after weighing the different options on the table and zeroing on this one because I knew I always wanted to head my own I.T firm and managerial skills would come In handy. Besides my early computer skills gave me a head-start as I did not have to start where everybody else did.

During my college course-work I was especially intrigued by databases and network security. I always epitomized these as the backbone of the computer world much like the safes of the banks. I envisioned myself as a database administrator always striving to get ahead of the game. Always trying to knock off the next Julian Assange. In school I read a lot about black hat hackers in the world over, such as the teenage-duo who had infiltrated one of most secure systems in the world, NASA and what this did to the organization's reputation.

In one instance I recall reading about the Kenya police government website being hacked and the perpetrators mocking, almost daring law enforcement to get them if they could. This was surreal, almost impossible to imagine that a government organization could fall prey to such culprits. Although at the time I was still a sophomore, I felt such a heavy burden rest on my shoulders. I couldn't imagine years later looking anyone in the eye and disclosing what I did for a living. I vowed to become part of the solution by working hard in my studies and contribution to the world through knowledge empowerment and sensitization.

Through my school's community service program which is held every beginning of the year, I have learnt the value of giving back to the community. Having graduated with a degree in Business Management & Information Technology (IT major), I took it upon myself to empower the young. I voluntarily teach school going kids basic computer fundamentals. This has helped keep them busy and basically give them a head-start in life in this ever changing technological world.

During my internship period while in university I have acquired vital skills in the area of web design and database management. In addition I have interacted with key industry players in the I.T field. In the software company that I interned for, I was among the few selected to go for training at Airtel, one of the giant telecommunication companies in the country. This was an eye opener as it provided first hand insight into the workings of distributed systems and the intricacies involved in the operation of networks.

After graduating from university, a few friends and I decided to join together to form a company that would deliver key services in the I.T field. Although we were ever so green from university we managed to stay afloat for more than six months and acquire a network of customers , before closing it down. I have since gone back to school where I am undertaking a CISCO Certified Network Associate certificate, which I will hopefully complement with a masters degree in computer science.

In my choice of your institution, I was drawn by the quality of research that is carried out especially in the areas of sciences .Since am looking forward to such courses as Databases and computer security, I believe your institution is the best place to learn from a talented faculty of staff and student body and I believe that I too am a valuable asset that will be able to contribute to the learning fraternity
ftypeman - / 4 1  
What I'm confused about is the topic. Is this essay supposed to be "If I had one wish" or is this supposed to be a statement of purpose?

If the prompt is SOP, then your essay answers that. However, if it is supposed to answer "If I had one wish" then it doesn't.

By the way, your writing is better than some I know who speak English as their first language, so kudos there!
OP genge09 1 / 1  
Actually its a statement of purpose,am looking forward to joining gradschool next year. I hope to get admission to a computer science program although my undergraduate is in I.T. Anyway thanks,its a huge relief getting insight from a third party.All the best with your SOP,if there is anything i picked from you is that all i've got to do is try.Way to go.

Home / Graduate / "If you could wish for one thing, what would it be?" ;SOP/Choice of career