Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 6

'I would never give up...' - 'subway announcement' - How does this one sentence sound like?

didilee777 1 / 1  
I knew that I would never give up New York University because of its pros and benefits.

Hmmm does it sound too informal...?
android21 10 / 56 20  
I knew I would never give up new york university because of its benefits and (find a more formal word for pro... which by the way, is almost similar to benefits)
OP didilee777 1 / 1  
thank you so much! :)
(find a more formal word for pro... which by the way, is almost similar to benefits)

Yes....android21 is correct... that sounds odd and also the usage is "pros and cons" that give opposite meanings. So you better have the word "benefits" only. This is my suggestion;

I knew that I would never want to give up New York University because of the great benefits it offers to students.
JDCho - / 2  
'subway announcement' - please check one sentence

I confuse which sentence is much better and sounds like more natural English.

Please see the bleow:
1. A subway announcement enables me to proceed with exploring the world of English-linguistics.
2. A subway announcement leads me to the world of English-linguistics.
Tell me your opinion! and give me any comment for your idea.

Thanks in advance!
Enas30 1 / 1 1  
I feel the second one is shorter and closer to the real English

BUT IT WOULD BE BETTER TO SAY

subway announcement leads me to English-linguistics world

In general the shorter the sentence, the stronger it would be and take care of PREPOSITIONS i.e. the sentence is stronger without them

best wishes

Home / Grammar, Usage / 'I would never give up...' - 'subway announcement' - How does this one sentence sound like?